33) Breach

Xiang

I ran through the palace halls with haste wondering how a breach had transpired. I had just gotten word that an attempt was taken on Li Mei's life and it filled me with curiosity.

I push through the ivory doors that led to her wing and glance upon Li Mei's disheveled figure. She was restless, her robes in tatters and cheeks scuffed.

She lifts her head as she hears me enter, immediately running into my arms. I allow her to hug me softly. I didn't care to comfort her, I was just trying my best to observe the room. The curtains and bedsheets were torn to shreds but so was her spirits.

"What happened?" I ask. She only hummed intelligible phrases shaking her head again and refusing to speak.

I look around the room locking eyes with a tall guard, signaling him to speak. I needed clarity on the events that had transpired.

"There was an attempt and a struggle emperor. She said the men were kidnappers maybe? We checked the perimeter but there are no signs of forced entry. When we ask her to elaborate she only remains silent, she is still too shocked to speak." he explains.

I look into her eyes, pushing her head back and looking at her features to observe. "Are you okay? "
She nods her head silently while looking into my eyes. I lead her to her bed before parting to talk to the general.

General Jun meets me outside the room, kneeling beside me before standing up and shaking his head. He was the one who first broke the news.

"Was their a breech of trust? Maybe of security?" I ask him carefully. All I cared for was Akazi and how this could effect her. Why would anyone care to kidnap Mei Li? She held no power?

"No emperor. We checked the perimeter of her room and the area surrounding it and everything was untouched. There was a party tonight and she summoned a few of her closest friends and some concubines."

"I see" I frown, understanding what the general was suggesting. "Was this before or after my argument with her" I raged.

The general refuses to answer my question. "It was a tragic thing to happen but we are aware of the weakness in our defenses. It may be an attempt on your dynasty or maybe it was an isolated event." he explains.

"How can you make sure this does not happen again General" I snap, angered it had even occurred in the first place.

"We will employ more guards and soldiers. As for the reason for the attempt? We must wait." Jun confesses.

I look back to the room, observing the windows and floorboards. The struggle looked intense but...a bit too staged? As if they knew where to hide and place each part of the story. No one dared pass these walls. How did anyone come in here?

"The palace is secure. It should be" I curse, pushing my hands through my hair to distract myself from my rising anger.

"Unless it was an inside job?" Jun suggested.

"Who?" I ask, snapping my head to his.

"We don't know emperor but there were markings on the—... "

Before the general had a chance to finish his theory, Li Mei comes behind me, pushing her arms around my chest. "Please stay... with me" she begged.

"You'll be fine." I gently push her off. "You have guards stationed everywhere."
She was supposed to be packing and on her way out the palace but this new situation may have just changed that. If she was the sole conspirator of this occurrence, she was wise.

"Stay here Xiang"

"Are you that daft?" My words were sharp but my intentions clear, "You exiled my Daiyu for your own selfish gain and thought you could get away with it in secret? The marks around your neck are still fresh. No matter how much your delusions of grandeur cloud your boldness, you and I will never be. I suggest you call one of your friends to keep you company Mei Li."

She cries, resting her head in my chest. She was relentless. It came off as desperation. I pushed her to the General with a few instructions before departing.  I could not stay. I wished to return to my precious Daiyu. I had left her in the room all alone and promised I would return.

Akazi

I am lounging in Xiang's bed, picking a loose feather from his pillow to distract myself from the urgency of the night. He had taken longer than I expected. It was dark outside and the candle the servant lit had melted down.

Soon I hear the heavy sounds of footsteps in the hallway of the room and sit up. "Hello? Xiang?"

Quite fills the air so I sit back and rest, thinking of the events of the night. Another breach in the palace? Was it an isolated event or did it have something to do with the dragon heads?

As my mind drifted to sleep, I hear a vase drop and the glass shatters. I sit up again, my head snapped to the left and right to observe the darkness. I sigh before standing to approach the noise.
Someone was in here! But who?

"The emperor is retuning soon. I suggest whoever is in here show themselves"

I don't know why I thought I sounded convincing threatening a figure that I hadn't even seen yet. I didn't know if he was a burly tall man or a warrior with a sword. The confidence I had was astounding for a situation I had no control of.
I examined the room but it was too dark to see anything.

I only had one option. Run.
And fast!

Calmly, I search for the door in the darkness and mark the path in my mind. I gather the bottom of my robe, prepping for my departure. I would have to run fast lest I be caught!
As my feet lift to start my escape, a heavy palm grabs me from behind and lifts me in the air.

"NOOOmffff" they bound my mouth with a rag.
"Mmmfff!! Letmmmgffoo!!" I try to scream but my pleas for help were muffled.

Where was Xiang. Or a guard! Anyone!

The figure turned me to face him or her, I still did not know it's gender. I didn't mean to gasp as I was met with the same blue mask from before. I studied the figure despite the darkness, trying my best to pinpoint any distinctive features to identify them.

I felt a warm gloved hand caress my cheek before turning me around to face the wall.

"Please..." I screamed. I felt the sharp coldness of the night as they tore the back of my robe open. They were here for the list. Of course they were.
I searched my mind for a way to escape but the grip the figure had on me was relentless. It was a man. I could tell because it was absent of care.

Their fingers trace down each name on the list before they tapped the middle and whispered something.

Lotus? Motus? I couldn't make out the word.

"Xiang!" I cry trying to muster up my strength to fight one last time but it was too late.

The figure ties my robe back into place and pushes me into the bed before fleeing.