40) Drunk

Akazi

The guards escort me to a secluded area away from the wedding festivities.

"How dare you! Make a mockery of the emperor and empress!" The same guy who had the clip board yelled. Emperor Xiang will have your head for—-" but his words faltered and the man's eyes trailed up to something behind me. He immediately bows to the floor in reverence.

"Daiyu." I hear the voice of the emperor behind me.
Great! Now I was in trouble.

I couldn't face him for I knew he was upset.
Slowly, I turn around, bowing in reverence.

"Let her go" he says in a hushed but stern voice. The guards released me immediately. He walks ahead in silence and I knew to follow.

——

I kept my head low, fearful of his harsh words. I had almost made a fool of myself...and hin. All for what? Mi Lei?

I feel a pair of hands pull me into a secluded room behind the main hallway.
Xiang closes the door behind us, trapping me against its surface.

"What do you think you're doing?" He looked upset.
I was a bit suprised he had caught onto my intentions.

"I just wanted..to make a toast. To your union." I frown, "it was so unexpected. Since you didn't tell me—"

"And you think making a FOOL of yourself was your to go!" His yell vibrated against the room. I remained silent. It was better this way.

"Surely you know a toast by a woman of the hòugōng is prohibited?" He reminded me.

"I am aware." I answer back, not missing a beat.

"I told you to be subtle and blend into palace life and what do you do? Make a spectacle out yourself!" He throws his hands up in frustration.

I peer down to the floor.

"So now what? What do you want me to say to them when they ask who that girl was making a fool of herself!?" He paces the length of the room, desperate for a solution. You are the queen elect!

I try to hold back the hiccup in my throat but had to let it escape.

His dark eyes scanned my features, as if he were trying to assess my sanity.
I hiccup again and clarity entered his mind. He couldn't help but bite back a smirk.

"So my Daiyu is drunk?" he whispered as if he had just discovered an ancient secret of the dynasty.

"No!" I shook my head violently. "No, I am not!" I hiccuped again. His laugh rolled through the room as he separated from me.

"You are drunk. Aren't you?" He teased.

"I...am not" I try to sound as sane as possible but my cognition was thinning.

He made his way across the room. "Walk to me" he said.

"Easy" I lift up a foot, eager to start my journey.

"In a straight line." He clarified.
Silence cloaks my vocal chords whilst my autonomy dwindles.

I make my first step to meet him, determined to prove him wrong but I tumble within an instant.
He catches me of course, already anticipating my failure.

Xiang

"I am not drunk" she hiccups, blowing the air in my ear. I chuckle, curling a piece of her hair as she giggled. I couldn't stay mad at her. It was probably her first taste of wine. I couldn't fault her.

"I only drank 2 cups of the juice" she held up five fingers.

"2, that's it?" I was skeptical of course. She pressed her head against my chest, staring at the ceiling with intrigue. There were ornate paintings on its borders.

She shook her head no and pushed a finger to her lips. "I really drank Seven" She looked from side to side, making sure the coast was clear. "Shhhh" she giggled again. "Don't tell the emperor though"

"I won't" I decide to play along.

"Promise me" she frowned, sitting up to face me. I nodded, pulling her jaw and kissing her softly.

"I promise"

She giggled again, pleased with our vow of secrecy.

"Your lips are soft" she pushes her fingers against them, brushing them with care.

"Are they?" I smirk, placing them against evey surface of her cheek. She giggled again, staring into my eyes with care. "But Xiang will kill you if he knows you kissed me."

"But you returned the kiss Daiyu"

"Nah ah!" She shook her head. She frowned and looked to the distance. "I wish the emperor was in love with me" she confessed. That mead must have been strong for her to think I was someone else.

"What makes you think he isn't?"

"He is marrying that white snake. You don't marry someone you are not in love with" she hiccups and presses her head against my chest.

"What about Obligations."

"OnBli-gâtions" She shakes her head no, pressing her lips against my robes. "Obligations should not be an excuse"

There was so little that she knew.

"Come"  I pick her up and make the venture to the hòugōng. The women of the hòugōng were enjoying their time at the wedding so I knew she would be able to sleep peacefully.

"No! No!" She tries to fight me, still devoted to the emperor. That was enough wedding festivities for her.

"Daiyu." My voice lowered, "I am a good friend of the emperor. Do you think he would like seeing you like this?"

"No. No!" Please don't tell him!"

"I won't. But you must come with me. I am taking you to rest" she nods and grabs my hand.

It takes a while to walk to my wing but I arrive and enter in. Softly, I place her in my bed. She wraps her arms around my neck, looking into my eyes.

"Stay" she growls, rubbing her palms against my chest. Did she recognize me once more? Maybe the wine was wearing off.

"I can't... " she continued kissing every inch of my skin, tempting me with her gentle caress. "I must go...My wedding"

I groan as she continues, fighting so hard to control my temperance. I must not unravel. Plus, she wasn't in a conscious state of mind. I wanted my Daiyu to be of sound mind if we made love.

"Goodbye" I whisper, leaning her back down.
She snatched away and buries her head in the pillow, enraged at my prompt departure.

"He's going to sleep with her!" She blurted, her head still buried in the pillows.

I pull her shoulders up and slowly lead her to my vision. Thick clear tears streamed down her cheeks as she stared at me. "The emperor is going to consu—tate with her and have a baby and I have to sit here and smile and act as if I am okay with that...but
I am not." She sniffs slowly staring into my eyes.

My heart dropped as I heard the confession. I had to...I must. If I didn't make the wedding official, Mei Li's father would take Akazi from me and I couldn't fathom ruling my kingdom without her in it.

"I'll return to you Akazi, I always do."  I bend low to kiss the back of her head and depart.

"Only the emperor knows my name is..." her words falter and sleep overcomes her.

I would return to her after the wedding....