23) Performance

Akazi

The handmaidens dressed me in the finest silk robes weaved by the best dressmaker in the Dynasty. I guess Li Mei wanted me to look my best, playing in front of the emperor.

"You should be honored. The emperor has not allowed music since the inception of the Quin Dynasty. His father and his father before him banned it."

"I pray my songs find the crowds suitable." I bite my lip nervously as the paint my face with rouge.

"You have been practicing all day. They will be honored. You know what they say. Music heals all wounds" The same woman brushed my black curls into a tight bun, leaving a few pieces behind to frame my face.

Another woman brings a mirror to show my appearance. I smile, pleased by their work and stand. I bend to open my case and pull my Dizi from within the constrains.

"Don't be nervous" another servant says reassuringly but it did quite the opposite to calm my nerves.

I tried to think pleasant thoughts but that didn't help. Drawing in a few breaths made my nerves calm but only for a few seconds. It was only when the two servants came to escort me that my spirit unraveled.

——

Two soilders guide me to the banquet hall. I tried my best to think of little songs and sayings that would calm me but nothing worked. I only thought of the people and what they would think of me.
What if I brought dishonor to Xiang?
It was the first time a performance filled with music had been approved. The people had not heard music for years. What if my playing did not suit the palettes? Maybe it would underwhelm them.

"Just through those doors" they point.

I was too consumed in my thoughts to notice my new location. Bright wooden doors were the only thing between the people and I.
I close my eyes, taking in a deep breath before signaling to the soldiers to open the door.

The chambers of the emperor seemed like a distant memory as intricate patterns of red and gold greeted my vision. Bright gold and emerald green decorated the lavish banquet hall.
Pomegranate Incense burned unapologetically while long tables lined the perimeter of the room. Tall platters of rich and savory foods scattered throughout the room. The smells were tantalizing.
Every decoration and detail was carefully curated. I knew the emperor had spared no expenses.

Focus. That's what I kept repeating to myself as I made my way down the cold marble floors. There was a path that lead directly to where Xiang was sitting. To his left was Li Mei and to his right was Minister (ughh forgot the name), and Prime Minister( 🤷🏿‍♀️)

The gay cheers and melancholy of the crowds slowly diminished as they saw my stride. I was determined to make every eye fall in me. But more importantly, Xiang's.

—-

Xiang

The banquet was as dreadful as the parties my father used to throw. I wished for nothing more to be in my chambers placing kisses against my Daiyu's spine but alas. I was here.

"Do not look too excited emperor" Li Mei whispers. She flashes me a smile but I don't return it.
I never do. My upcoming nuptials to her only deepened the indifference I had for her in my heart.
She was a beautiful girl but one with no substance or drive.
She could not hold a flame to my Daiyu.
I wondered what she was doing at this very moment. Hopefully having pleasant dreams of the moon and stars.

Another hour passed and I was gearing to take my leave. Surely the people would understand? Just as I am about to stand, the wooden doors burst open and I see the most enchanting sight of a woman dripped in azul and gold.