12) Blue Mask

Akazi

I wake up in the middle of the night in a fit of panic.
The second night of bad dreams had kept me up again. The bright flames and smell of brimstone from that night in my village would paralyze me for an eternity.

The sound of footsteps breaks me from my memories. I thought they belonged to the emperor but his absence in the sheets beside me proved otherwise.

He had probably taken his slumber elsewhere as to not seem too forward. I did not mind it, for I. was touched by his chilvary... but I wouldn't mind his warmth during nights like these where my thoughts kept me awake .

I hear another set of footsteps and sit up. I couldn't see a thing in the darkness.
"Hello?" I whisper but their was no noise.
Maybe it was a servant or something? I fall back down when the sounds of footsteps disappear.

I lay on my stomach and rest my head against the pillows to fall asleep. As I am dozing off , I feel a rough hand around my unclothed waist. I smile, adjusting to the emperor's warmth as he kisses my spine. He must have snuck in to check on me.

"Is it brash of me to admit I yearned for your warmth beside me?"

He hums as he pulls down my robe to stain my back with his lips. His fingers trailed against the markings of my tattoo. I suppose he did not mind my confession. He pushes each finger against the black ink, lingering on the last inscription where his name was.

"Don't leave" I whisper, falling into my last cycle of slumber. His warmth comforts me.

"I am here Tai Yen"

My body freezes as I hear the unfamiliar voice. It was a voice that did not belong to the emperor nor was one I familiar with.

Fear paralyzes my senses but I dared myself to sit up and turn around. Sitting just behind me was a strange figure with a dark blue mask. My body jolts to the back of the head board as I assess the intruder. Hastily, I tie my robe back, trying to look for a way to escape but I see no signs.

Before I could scream for help, the person in the dragon mask covers my mouth with a black scarf, pushing a white towel against my nose. It smelled like something rancid and sharp. I try my best to turn away but they didn't lighten the pressure. They grab my shoulders and push me against the covers.

"Help!! Help!" I shout but my screams were muffled against the thickness of the scarf and before I knew it, I had faded into the darkness.

——-

Next day
Before dawn
Emperor Xiang

General Jung would kill me for my tardiness but the journey from one side of the palace to the other was lengthy. I had decided to sleep in the west wing to give my Daiyu some privacy.

My steps hasten on my journey back to the western wing. I head to my quarters and smile as I see her resting in my bed. She was so beautiful, her soft black curls were nestled against the surface of my pillow. Her robe was pulled away, slipping from her slender body without care.

I couldn't help but pull her into my arms, kissing her shoulders with warmth as I laid beside her.
I guess my movements triggered her to wake. She wiggles in my arms, lifting her head to face me.