chapter 40

EMMA

Spinning on my heels I walked out of London’s Topshop with two things: a new job and one last chance. I really was going to give up – after the accident I heard about it straight away, it was all over the press, and instantly I felt to blame. And from that point on I decided I had no business following them around trying to find myself in the rays of the spotlight that Harry was under; Charlie getting in an accident was too far beyond my intentions. But seeing her today, completely safe and well, and completely unaware who I am, an idea sprouted in my brain and grew as I pounded the pavement down the streets of London. I have a clean slate with somebody very close to the fame I crave, and it won’t be hard getting close to her, which if everything goes to plan will lead me to what I really want, which isn’t even Harry at this point, its attention. And I’ll do anything to get it. This opportunity was handed to me on a silver platter; it was fate really, like the entire universe wants me to get what I want. And despite common belief, the world finally does revolve around me.

CHARLIE

The days dragged on the way they always do when you’re aching with anticipation, as if the world knew you were waiting for something, like they were stalking your countdown and slowing down purposefully. And finally the day came when the massive tour busses appeared in the back parking lot, the suitcases that we’d spent days cramming our lives into were stacked on the pavement and loaded one by one into the four patent black busses, one for management, one for security, one for Liam, Niall and Zayn, and the last for Eleanor, Louis, Harry and I. Nothing quite screamed “pop-stars” like four gleaming tricked out busses, and the sense of “we’ve made it” seeped out the pores of the five boys as they went running toward them with bright wide eyes like children on Christmas morning. Eleanor and I exchanged sly smirks as we followed our boys onto our respective bus, entering as they were exploring every inch of their new home, which was surprisingly much more spacious than one would think. There was a large booth style sofa underneath the windows parallel to a breakfast table for four with two small booths on either side. There were sleek black cabinets stocked with snacks and a decent sized fridge for an automobile. The back of the bus had a bathroom and a living space with a large flat screen TV and video games and comfortable sofas. The ‘hallway’ connecting the two main areas was lined with four cots to sleep in, individually big enough for me to slip in bed with Harry at nights on the road but definitely not enough space for Harry to have his wicked way with me.

The glossy busses would only be our homes during times of travel, as most every location would be at least an overnight stay there were hotels booked along the UK-Ireland journey, as well as in the rest of Europe. We’d take the bus from London, to Wolverhampton, to Holmes Chapel, to Doncaster, to Bradford, then fly to Mullingar. After that, it was time to see the fans from away from home, where we’d go from Ireland, to Sweden, to Germany, to Italy, to Spain, and we’d end in France, the last show set for February 14th, Valentines Day. Over the next four and a half weeks the boys would be playing eighteen shows for thousands of fans.

The first stop was Liam’s home of Wolverhampton, less than a three-hour drive and it being our first proper drive to a location, we decided to all climb into Niall, Liam, and Zayn’s bus to all be together after individually getting ourselves situated. El and I met the boys in theirs before we headed out. When we climbed up the stairs of the essentially identical bus, I collapsed on the sofa next to Harry who like the others was absolutely buzzing. His hand mechanically yet effortlessly found itself connected with mine, and I could tell by the smile on his face, the look in his eye, and the grip on my hand three things: he was absolutely more excited than he had ever been in his entire life, he loved me for coming with him, and he was nervous as a child on the first day of school. Sending an equally excited smile in his direction, a cheeky wink, and an encouraging triple squeeze of his large hand, his shoulders relaxed and he melted into my side, kissing my neck and murmuring just below my ear.