chapter 23

CHARLIE

My heart pounded against the skin of my chest, thumping like a base drum as we pulled up to the studio. I was nervous to hear the song for myself, but even more nervous to see how everyone else would like the song… this was their moment, this was their time to shine, to prove to the world that even without winning the x factor they could take the world by storm and be a huge success. Harry’s hands that were previously laced with mine disconnected from my grasp as the door opened and the seal of the silent car was broke as the hiss of the fans filled the air; the boys spilled out one by one into the sea of people awaiting their arrival.

“NIALL OVER HERE! ZAYN! LIAM I LOVE YOU! HARRY! LOUIS I LIKE CARROTS!” fans screamed their names and the boys eyes wandered around the mass of people, trying to acknowledge each person shouting for their attention.

“Whose that girl?” some whispered and I was silently thankful that they didn’t know who I was – the press had made me out to look like One Direction’s personal whore, like a five for one booty-call deal. “THAT’S CHARLIE!” a girl screamed out and my stomach fell to the concrete – being known and not being famous was such an indescribable feeling. More girls became aware of my presence and questions fired in my direction, dejavu of the night of the Ed Sheeran concert.

“CHARLIE, WHICH BOY ARE YOU DATING? IS Harry CHEATING ON YOU OR ARE YOU THE HOMEWRECKER? IS NIALL A GOOD KISSER?” My mind was a buzz, the questions bouncing off the walls of my brain. I couldn’t even take it all in; I was an over absorbed sponge sitting in a bucket of water, physically unable to retain anything else. My eyes darted for somebody as I felt myself being disconnected from the rest of the boys.

Overwhelmed was an understatement of my true and honest feelings. Panic took over every atom of my body, like the feeling you get when you lose your mom in the grocery store or when you clog the toilet, and suddenly Paul thankfully took my hand and guided me inside as the boys posed for pictures.

“Are you alright Charlotte?” he asked sternly and all I could do was nod and once he was sure I was safe he went back for the boys. My heartbeat calmed as relief washed over me. The boys came bursting through the doors with such excitement written all over their faces – not even they were used to the hysteria that was happening over them

“Whoa” Liam breathed out, his gaze still fixed on the hundreds of girls behind the glass windows. Zayn was waving out to him and I wouldn’t have been surprised if some of the girls were fainting in the crowd just over his eye contact. Niall was bouncing on his feet, high on the reception they got from their first TV appearance – and this was only outside.

“Five girls asked me to marry them!” he gushed and I felt myself smiling as I surveyed each of their faces, an even blend of utter shock and pure exhilaration. They were all floating on cloud nine: their egos inflating them to the sky.

Paul was speaking to what appeared to be and important lady who lead the way to the set. The boys were brought to a dressing room for final touches of hair and make up and I was lead to a spot just on the edge of the audience backstage with a perfect view of where the boys were soon to be. I was even more relieved to be meeting up with a few familiar faces.

“Charlie!” Perrie, Danielle, and Eleanor chorused and I smiled “hey lovelies!”

“Are you excited to hear the song?” Perrie asked eagerly “it’s so cool that it’s practically about you. You’re so close with all five of the boys, they all adore you” her eyes sparkled as she spoke and my heart warmed that the amount of love they had for me was visible to those who were surrounded by it.

Before I could even respond a man with an audio set tapped our shoulders “Take a seat ladies the show is about to begin.” The four of us did as we were told and found our seats, settling in as the lights dimmed in the audience and lit up on stage and Alan’s charismatic voice bellowed through the studio.