chapter 3

Re-entering the doors of the Cox residence after so many years was nostalgic. I found myself so suddenly remembering my seven-year-old chasing Hazza through these very halls, and jumping off the swings of the play-set in his backyard. As I followed Anne through the familiar environment, I caught a glimpse of the play-set through the window. I smiled to myself, the memory in full detail filling my mind – my first kiss was underneath the slide. It was with Haz and I had been so little, but the thought of it gave me goose bumps. Instantly I wondered where he was.

“Let me show you to your room, dear.” Anne said grabbing my suitcase in one hand and my wrist in another. I walked up the staircase and to the first door on the left, remembering that her son’s was the one right across the hall. She opened the door and I was comforted to the sight of all my furniture and belongings that had been shipped here just a few days ago.

“I’ll be right back,” Anne said disappearing downstairs and into the kitchen. I stood in the doorframe and suddenly became overwhelmed when I remembered why I was here. I sighed and looked at the bare dresser tops and bedside tables, eager to clutter them with my photos and magazines that were in labeled boxes on the floor. I knelt down and opened a package labeled “PHOTOS” in my bubbly handwriting. Resting on top was the most recent picture of my mother and I. Tears filled my eyes like clockwork at the sight of her weak face – it was still so surreal. I couldn’t bring myself to believe it. My mother was dead. And the moment I put it into words it hit me like a ton of bricks, and the tears began to flow heavier. I sat there sobbing with my face in my hands, when suddenly I felt myself being comforted by Anne who had slipped back in without me noticing. I held onto her tightly, taking in her familiar scent as I whimpered with my face nuzzled in her chest. She patted down my long brown hair and led me into my bed.

“You should really get some rest sweetheart, it’s been a long day,” she said with sincerity. She placed the tea she had fetched me onto my empty nightstand and tucked me in like my mother used to. She planted a loving kiss on my forehead and a loose strand of hair behind my ear before she turned on her heels and out the door. I kept my eyes closed but they continued to drip with tears as I cried myself to sleep. 

With my eyelids still closed I could see the sun beaming in from the window on the opposite side of my bedroom. Before opening them I silently wished to myself that this was all just a nightmare and that I have really been dreaming this up in a comatose but the truth was revealed as I opened my eyes to find myself in the Cox guest-room-turned my bedroom. I rolled out of bed and decided to take a shower to clear my head that was still cluttered with all the stress of the last few days. Whilst in the shower I recalled Anne mentioning that Hazza would be returning home today, but she left out the small detail of where he was. I found myself becoming an emotion I hadn’t felt in a while – exited. I finished up quickly in the shower to get myself ready for the day. As excited I was to see my old friend, I didn’t want to over do it. I slipped on some black leggings and an oversized grey sweater and brushed out my long wet hair. I put some moose in it to allow it to dry into its natural beach-wave texture and applied a thin layer of foundation, some eyeliner, and my usual thick layer of mascara. I returned to my room and opened up a window to let in some air. I was beginning to unpack and sort my clothes and pictures and knickknacks around the room when I stumbled upon my MacBook. It had been a while since I had opened it and got lost in the worlds of tumblr and twitter so I decided to log on. As I was scrolling through my dashboard hundreds of pictures of none other than one direction filled my screen. I came across a handsome picture of Louis and I could swear that seeing his face almost made me hear the sweet sound of his laugh. It suddenly became louder and I checked my tabs to see if I had accidently clicked on an interview or something but I found nothing. It stopped eventually and I shook it off, closed my laptop, and shuffled down the stairs to see what Anne was up to.

HARRY

It had been such a long time since I had been home and I couldn’t wait to walk through the doors and give my mother a huge hug. I also was looking forward to spending time with the boys in my hometown of Holmes Chapel, remembering the good times we had had during their last visit here when we had just been formed as One Direction. Last night all of us boys returned from our final meeting with Syco in London before recording to spend the night at Louis’ house before making our way to mine while we waited for our flat to be situated. It was a quite night at Lou’s place because he was so distraught over his best friend Charlie moving away for the summer. All of us boys knew everything about Charlie Parker, Louis’ infamous and supposedly gorgeous best friend. We had all seen her in the silly iPhone picture on the lock screen of his phone but he claimed the photo didn’t do her any justice. The boys and I frequently shared stories of our lives back home together and Charlie was always apart of Louis’ tales, making all of the boys interested and wanting to eventually meet her someday.

 Still deeply caught up in my random thoughts, I gazed out the window of the black van that was taking us to my house. The familiar scenery made the corners of my mouth curl up and I quickly pulled my phone out of my pocket to text my mum that we would be arriving soon. She instantly responded and reminded me that we had a guest at my house. Oh right. It had been a few days since my mum had mentioned on the phone that her best friend Kathleen had passed away and she had offered to take in her daughter Charlotte until she started uni in the fall. I smiled remembering the huge crush she had on me back when we were just kids. I wondered what she would be like after all this time.

CHARLIE

I entered the kitchen and walked in on Anne facing me hugging a tall curly haired boy with tears running down her face. I figured it was Hazza that she was embracing but was curious as to why she was so emotional upon seeing him.

“Charlotte!” she smiled widely noticing I had entered the room. The sound of my name caused the boy in her arms to turn and suddenly I felt as though the world had stopped right on its tracks. I had expected to see a grown version of the seven-year-old boy I left behind almost eleven years ago but the face in front of me was all too familiar. I had seen this very face on television, posters, t-shirts, and on my very own desktop wallpaper. The luscious pink lips, unmistakable curly brown hair, and heart stopping green eyes locked with mine. I was face-to-face with the one and only Harry Styles, and suddenly it all clicked.