chapter 26

CHARLIE

Light streamed through the windows and birds chirped gently outside, but with my hangover it felt more like lasers and nails on a chalkboard; normally peaceful parts of my day acting as key parts in a torture chamber. I peaked one eye open and quickly collapsed my lid like wooden blinds and buried my head under my pillow hiding from the demons that taunted me, reminding me of the amount of alcohol I’d consumed last night. The last thing I could remember after downing shots and dirty dancing was my final shot glass shattering to the ground in a million little pieces. I winced hoping nobody stepped on it barefoot because I was sure I didn’t bother cleaning it up, but I wasn’t really sure about anything I did last night to be honest; everything else was a blurred abyss in my memory. I moaned with defeat, my poison haunting me as I sat up slowly, pulling up my heavy head with every last ounce of the lack of strength in my body. I looked around and everything appeared to be normal but I wondered how different things would be downstairs. I didn’t want to leave the comfort of my bed, but the silence in the house could have convinced anyone that everybody was dead. I swung my door open and slowly made my way down the hallway, hearing muffled snores from Niall and Harry’s bedrooms. Louis, Zayn, and Liam had empty beds, and aside for Liam there was no chance the other two were already up and functioning.

Further down the hallway the bathroom door was open. I peered in and was faced with Louis half naked in the bathtub with Eleanor by his side hung over the toilet like a dirty towel. I continued down the hallway to the end and descended the stairs faced with a barely shy of project X scene. There were no cars in swimming pools or fire, but the mess in this million dollar flat was overwhelming. The air reeked, polluted by heavy clouds of pure alcohol, empty bottles and cans scattering the hardwood floors and granite countertops. Bottle caps decorated the floor like spots on a Dalmatian; fumes of vomit flooded my nostrils and by the looks of my stained dress it was obvious I had contributed to the aroma, and passed out bodies littered the genuine fur shag rugs. Most people had left last night but it was no surprise that there were a few who couldn’t even think about leaving given their conditions. Perrie was planking the kitchen counter with her dress pulled up over her head revealing a daisy patterned thong and Zayn was sat up asleep underneath his DJ table with an empty bottle of Jack Daniels in his lap. Liam’s friends Andy and Maz were sprawled out like a pair of starfish on the ground that previously was the middle of the dance floor, and his girlfriend Danielle was lucky enough to have somehow landed a couch. My head was spinning like the hurricane that took this apartment by storm. On queue for my mental breakdown the front door swung open and a way-too-cheerful daddy direction burst into what looked like an abandoned frat house.

“Good morning sleepyhead!” he sung to me and I cringed, shutting my eyes hoping to block out his happiness that mocked my hangover.

“Hi” I groaned and he chuckled at my pain, entertained. He made his way up the stairs and called for one of the sleeping boys to wake up with anger replacing his previously sunshine-y voice.

I started a pot of coffee and observed the result of chaos in the room. I searched cabinets for aspirin and finding it was like seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. I put two pills in the palm of my hand and popped them in my mouth. The coffee dinged and I reached for a mug, pouring the necessary caffeine and was startled by the sound of a door slamming shut upstairs. Shaken I splattered the hot liquid on myself.

“Shit” I muttered and the shouting continued as Liam’s powerful voice bellowed from upstairs. I took a sip of coffee and swallowed my pills before my curiosity took over. I tiptoed up the stairs and followed the noise that came from Niall’s bedroom.

“Liam what are we going to do!” Niall groaned and Liam hissed at him “shh lower your voice!” I pressed my ear to the wooden door and closed my eyes listening intently to the hushed tones.