the chapter where everything changes - 54

Hello there, it’s been a long time. I highly suggest you read 53 before carrying on – that was so long ago and it was so beautifully tragic, it deserves it. This is the chapter where everything changes.

xo

HARRY

Even though she was long gone, Emma’s words swirled around the room with the wind of her brewing storm, knocking the wind right out of me. She was like a firework show, leaving everything she said lingering behind in a cloud of smoke while I sat paralyzed in my dressing room staring blankly at the closed door with my chest tight, my lungs collapsing into themselves and my heart caving in. I literally felt as though she pushed me down to the ground and stomped all over me, as if she put her hands around my neck and choked me with karma. She strangled me with her words and left in one swift motion – like the hurricane she was she came out of no where and destroyed everything in her path, leaving quickly while still managing to leave behind the evidence of her chaos, ruining everything she came in contact with. And I sat there thinking that the hardest part about this moment was knowing for certain that it only foreshadowed the future, that this encounter was just the beginning, and that soon Emma would bring down my entire world, and all I could do was sit here and watch it crumble. 

CHARLIE

The day I was leaving, when we woke up in the morning the whole world felt different. The sunny Australian sun was hidden behind clouds, the dazzling smile of my lover was hidden behind a frown, and I just knew there was something hidden deep within his soul, and I could see it in the sadness in his eyes. They were different from the usual “I’m going to miss you” puppy dog eyes, they looked full of pain and emptiness, and I didn’t know why. And with the way he smirked sadly at me and held my hand a little tighter, I was sure he would never tell me.

We sat in the car in the same disappointed silence that always led up to goodbyes, which admittedly neither of us are very good at. Music filled the quiet, giving our hearts a melody to sink to.

Right from the start

You were a thief

You stole my heart

And I your willing victim

I let you see the parts of me

That weren't all that pretty

And with every touch you fixed them

Now you've been talking in your sleep

Things you never say to me

Tell me that you've had enough

Of our love, our love

Just give me a reason

Just a little bit's enough

Just a second we're not broken just bent

And we can learn to love again

It's in the stars

It's been written in the scars on our hearts

We're not broken just bent

And we can learn to love again

HARRY

My palms grew sweaty as I gripped onto the steering wheel, the words that flowed through the speakers haunting me. My sad green eyes were concealed from Charlie’s view, hidden behind sunglasses, though the sun was nowhere in sight. Tears rimmed my eyes as I drove Charlie to the airport, my body physically sat next to hers but my mind off some place else, someplace it often wandered but never actually imagined a permanent stay. This time, my tears were not tears of goodbye, but in the fear that this goodbye could be more than temporary, fear that hiding the truth from Charlie had gone on too long, fear that it was too late to fix the one thing that I couldn’t afford to be broken, fear that this would be the end of something that was supposed to last forever… and in this moment the only thing I was absolutely sure of was that I was the only one to blame.