chapter 22

CHARLIE

The city welcomed me with its bright lights and we parked the car in the garage. The moon and the streetlights glowed in the darkness and lit up the features of Harry’s face. He unbuckled his seatbelt and looked up, his piercing green eyes meeting mine, a smile breaking over his nearly flawless complexion illuminating his face even more. I unbuckled myself and leant over, my forehead against his and his grin transforming into a sly smirk. The cupid’s bow of his perfectly shaped lips was begging to be pressed up against mine. My lips just barely made contact with his before he crashed his firmly on my own, a loving sensation erupting over my body as the warmth of his lips transferred to mine.

A flash of light blinded my vision and we disconnected to find a sea of lights coming from the outside of the car. Harry reached in his pocket as I hid my eyes from the brightness, my hand soon replaced with his ray bans. He reached into the backseat grabbing my bag before he exited the car, pushing through the mass of paparazzi, a string of profanities escaping the lips that had not long ago been embracing mine. He opened the door on my side and his lips brushed up against my ear “I’ll protect you, don’t be scared.” My eyes met his for a split second and I nodded before exiting the car. His arm wrapped around my body as his frame towered over me protectively. My head was to the ground and Harry guided me to the entrance of the apartment building, the doormen shooing away the photographers. We were pushed into the building and a wave of relief crashed over my body. Harry lifted the sunglasses to be perched atop my head and searched my face for answers, wanting to be assured that I was okay.

“I’m alright Harry, everything is okay, I’ll get used to it,” I said reassuringly, snaking my arm around his torso. He smiled down at me and kissed the top of my head at my hairline and guided me up to the flat.

We entered the elevator and slowly shot up to the top floor.

“It’s a bit of a ride” Harry’s deep voice danced around in the elevator music.

“Whatever will we do to keep ourselves entertained?” I teased and dimples framed his cheeky smile. No sooner I found my hands tangled in his hair and his tongue tangled with my own. The elevator dinged but we were deafened by our own love and suddenly a very uncomfortable human being was faced with our steamy make out session. I pushed off of Harry with my eyes wide in embarrassment and Harry stifled laughter. I hung my head in shame and found myself choking back my own chuckles as I snuck a peak at Harry. The man who walked in on us stood awkwardly swaying back and fourth with his eyes fixed on the numbers that lit up above the door. He practically jumped out the door when it landed on his floor, and before the doors shut completely Harry called out to him “sorry mate!” and laughter overflowed out of my contained lips. I tugged at the fabric of Harry’s V-neck and pulled his lips to mine, finishing what we started. This time the ding of the door made the two of us jump and we broke into a chorus of giggles as we exited the elevator.

“I could definitely get used to the long lift rides,” I breathed out and Harry’s hand made a smacking contact with my bum. I let out a yelp as he fiddled with the door handle and swung open the door “we’re home!” he belted out and four young men came rushing from all directions like children bursting out of their bedrooms on Christmas morning and we were the gifts.

“CHARLIE!” the boys chorused pushing through Harry and engulfing me into the center of a group hug. “Nice to see everyone as well” Harry called as he made his way to the kitchen. The boys disconnected from me to greet the fifth member, and Niall lingered on me a little longer than the rest.

“We have a surprise for you!” he announced and I could feel my face lighting up as they all dragged me up the stairs.

“Drum roll please!” Niall’s voice blared in his infamous announcer voice. The three other boys slapped their thighs creating drums of their own as Harry and I mutually curiously waited what was behind the closed door. Liam pushed the door open and I let out a barely audible gasp. My furniture had been set up and was accompanied by a mix of new things. Deep purple drapes hung from the windows that framed a stunning view of the city of London. I found myself entering the room inch by inch as my eyes wandered. My old photos were hung in all new thick black frames that contrasted the cloudlike white shag rug that covered almost the entire black hardwood floor. A crisp white duvet cover sat atop my bed with an arrangement of black white and lavender throw pillows. I felt my eyes welling up with salty tears as I continued to scan the room; fairy lights that reminded me of the night before lined the ceiling and shelves had been hung to hold my things. I was presented with a room of my own created by the new members of my family. I spun around to the five smiling faces that awaited some kind of response.