chapter 43

CHARLIE

DAY 1: LONDON

Everything hurts. Okay, I’m actually physically fine and nothing actually hurts, but I feel as though there is an everlasting empty hole in my heart that only he who is absent can truly fill entirely. It’s like being hungry but nothing in your cupboard seems appetizing and whatever you’re craving is out of reach. It sucks I won’t lie. Eleanor and I were the last left in the van after dropping off the others, and when we walked through the door of the apartment meant for seven, the two of us were instantly swallowed by it’s vast emptiness. El sighed and quietly disappeared to the bathroom leaving me still stood by the door. I dropped my purse and my body fell fluidly beside it. My chest was tight and my throat was dry, and I could hear myself laugh through tears as I realized how pathetic I was for not even being able to stand without Harry to lean on; his absence magnified the strength that Harry really did give me and I hadn’t fully realized it until he was on his way halfway across the world.

I closed my eyes and leant my head against the door, knocking it lightly against it’s surface, a dumbed down version of the dramatics in all the films as my chest fought to rise and fall regularly. I could feel the cold charms against my skin, pulling them out from inside my shirt and wedging my thumbnail between the halves prying it open. I stared down at the two pictures and a smile absentmindedly crept across my face. I knew he wouldn’t want me like this, crying on the kitchen floor literally lost without him, so I took a deep breath, wiped the tears with the back of my free hand, snapped the locket shut and stood up.

DAY 2: LONDON

Harry’s bed engulfed me in loneliness and the smell of him, not only a tease but also admittedly comforting. As soon as the phone rang I could feel my face light up: not only from the glow of the screen but mostly from the voice on the other end. It was short but it was enough. The second the line went dead I fell asleep at once, and for the first time in a long time my dreams would be better than my reality, because at least then I could be with him.

HARRY

DAY 2: LAS VEGAS

“We’re going to go out there and do our best, we need to show America who One Direction are and we’re going to do it right!” Liam took the lead role and spoke in the huddle. I could feel my hands shaking against Louis’ to which he responded by taking it in his and squeezing it.

“Don’t be nervous mate, we’ve got this,” he whispered and I nodded whilst taking hands with Niall, who joined hands with Liam who linked with Zayn and back to Louis.

I could hear the sounds of the seagulls followed by the familiar beat of What Makes You Beautiful in a distance, our opening tour video began, followed by one of the most epic roars I have ever heard. I lifted my head from the bow of the huddle, and I could feel my eyes widening as I saw four other pairs doing the same in front of me.

“D-Do you…” Niall stuttered, starting to ask if we had heard but he needn’t ask because all we could do was smile. My heart was beating against the skin of my tattooed chest, so fiercely it thumped through the thin fabric of my t-shirt, the charms of my necklace clattering together melodically, and even above the screams it sang beautifully in my ear and that’s when I could feel that she was here.

“Let’s do this boys,” was the last thing I said before running full speed onto the stage that started our career in the United States of America.

CHARLIE

DAY 4: LONDON

It was a Friday and I was in my last class before the weekend, and anyone who has attended school knows exactly how that feels. I’d gotten here early and I was already anxious to leave, my foot tapping against the floor of the slowly filling room. I could feel a buzz against my thigh and a smile finding its way across my lips.