CHAPTER 40

We stayed there for a while before I stood up so Aang and I continued to do the first practice. I taught him to put out more than one candle at once, which he got pretty quickly not a real surprise since he was the Avatar and I expected nothing less of him.

   "I think you're ready for the next level." I said and he looked at me, I held the fire in my hand. "I'm gonna run around with this flame and you have to put it out. It's simple really, exactly what you've been doing for the last few hours."

   "I say blindfold him." Toph said from her spot relaxing. "I miss, Sokka."

   "Oo0! I got one!" Katara said and sat up. "If you miss him so much, why don't you marry him?"

   We stayed quiet and I sighed turning back to Aang. "Back to training." I said. "Ready, Aang?"

   "Uh..." He paused and I looked at him making sure he was certain about it. "Ready."

   I started running and he watched me trying to get close to extinguish the flame but I always dodged him or flipped over him.
"Aang, you don't have to get so close!" I shouted from the top of the hill I was on. He looked up at me. "Focus and stay calm!" He almost got me but I blocked him from putting it out and got away. I came to a holt and smiled turning to face him. "Good job." He smiled when he realized he put the fire out.

   We continued to practice this exercise until it was late. I sighed and I lie on my back ready to fall asleep, but then Sokka came back and since everyone else was asleep I stayed up and listened to him talk about his training. My heart fluttered at hearing him go on over his successful day, just hearing him be so excited over something made me happy.
   I told him about what I taught Aang so far and after that we both went to bed so he could go back the next day to make his sword, Sokka left after breakfast and then Aang stood up.

   "Sifu Mirai, I am ready for the next part!" Aang bowed.

   "Next part?" I asked.

   "You said you would teach me each lesson in three levels. We already did the two yesterday, I feel ready for the final level!"

   "Aang, I don't.." I paused and looked at him. I knew he was more than ready but I couldn't do it. I didn't want to shoot fire at him. "Aang, I can't do it. I don't want to accidently hurt you if you aren't ready."

   "But I really am ready." He said and I glanced away. "Please Mirai, I don't want to be afraid."

   "Yeah..." I said and I didn't want to be afraid either. "Okay Aang... I'm gonna shoot fire at you and you have to extinguish before it gets to you."

   "Mirai, doesn't that sound like a little much?" Katara asked.

   "I'll stand as far as possible so it gives him time then I'll move in when I feel he is really ready." I told her and she looked at Aang who gave us the 'it's fine' look.

I continued to try and reassure her that I won't hurt Aang or anyone else for that matter and once she was calm I was ready.
We found a spot on a hill, I left Aang there while I went to the other hill. I watched as he got into position, slightly hesitant but still did so, I sent a blast his way and he dodged it and rapidly apologized.

"It's okay, Aang!" I called to him. "Try again." I shot another one and this one he stoppped but just as it was about to touch his face. "Getting closer."

   We practiced and finally I was right across from him. "Ready?" I asked and he nodded. I shot at him quickly and he extingushed all of them with easy. "Avatar Aang, you have just completed the extinguished lesson." We both bowed.