CHAPTER 21

After the hug, she left me alone. I sat alone for a while, watching the moon. I really did enjoy Sokka's company and I felt closer to him, more than ever before but he was pushing it, he was treating me like I was weak or something.
It's something that I never really had growing up. My mother died when I was five so she barely took care of me as it was but I stopped realizing what it actually felt like because my father saw me as a talented firebender who could hold her own. When I went to Crescent island I was already old enough to do just that so my granfather never saw me as someone he needed to care for. In fact I felt like I needed to care for him.
I shivered from the cold and inhaled deeply, releasing a breath of fire, enough to warm me up.

"Oh sorry." I looked over at Sokka.

A small smile dancing on my lips. "We have to stop meeting like this." I told him.

"Like this?" He asked and walked over.

"You sneaking up on me like a creep." I pulled him to sit down next to me, we both looked up at the moon. "The moon sure is beautiful tonight, don't you think so?"

"Yeah. It really is." He said.

"I'm sorry I got mad at you earlier. I know you're only doing it because you care." I told him. "I can take care of myself, really."

"I know you can." He replied softly.

"So...why were being so over-protective?" I asked.

"It's so hard losing someone you care about." He said and looked at the sky but then his eyes shifted to the ground. "Something happened at the North Pole where I couldn't protect someone. I don't want something like that to ever happen again."

"Sokka," he looked at me but I was looking at the water. "Do you think that person was trying to protect you too?" We looked at each other.
I leaned in and so did he, I closed my eyes but before our lips could touch he stopped by grabbing my shoulder and turned his head.

"I can't." He said letting go of me and got up.

"Right, I'm sorry." I said pulling myself away.

"No, you shouldn't be." He replied and walked away.

I closed my eyes, my face burning up. I felt embarrassed, did I just assume he liked me the way I liked him? I covered my face with my hands.

Why am I so stupid?

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾ ☀︎༓・*˚⁺‧͙

In the morning we started walking again. The trail was cut by a pool of water, we thought this was the end.

"Everyone single file!" Katara announced and we did so as she made a passage for us with her waterbending. "Aang, I need help."

Aang handed Toph his staff and started to help Katara bubble us in the water. I watched the fish pass us by and Momo did too, he jumped off my shoulder going in to get one. We stopped to see a shadow outside of us.

"What is that?" Katara asked and then something crashed in and the bubble broke.

Toph saved us by raising the ground but now that thing was circling us, it shot out hissinging at us. A giant water snake-like creature.

"I think I just figured out why they call it the serpents pass!" Sokka said and it screeched. "Suki, you know about giant sea monsters make it go away!"

"Just because I live near the unagi doesn't mean I'm an expert!" She yelled at him.

Sokka tried to sacrifice Momo and I took him. "Sokka!"