PROLOGUE

I glanced over at Ursa, Azula, and her brother, The Royal Family. My father was talking to Firelord Ozai, he was getting bumped up to general.
This wasn't my first time in the palace. My mother worked under Ursa as her personal servant and she allowed my mother to bring me along. I played with Azula a lot, mainly because she terrified me when I was younger, even at four she could be scary but she wasn't so bad. When Zuko came along she made sure we never talked but when we saw each other we would wave or smile.
Ursa was a great friend of my mother's so when she passed she invited me over and at that time she would tell me different stories about my mother but I asked her to stop because it started to hurt me, an aching, empty pain that couldn't be filled.

"Mirai," I heard and walked over. "Firelord Ozai, would like to see how advanced you are."

"Yes sir." I bowed to Fire Lord Ozai and walked back to my spot. I looked up at the guards standing around me. There were around ten and I was only ten years old.

As I took them all down, I focused on my father. The hate I had for him. The hate I had for the Fire Lord. I was only five when my mother passed of illness, so my father did whatever he could to raise me. In the beginning it wasn't so bad but then he joined Fire Lord Ozai and he started changing quickly he turned into a cold-blooded man. He managed to get me into The Royal Fire Academy for Girls.
My father only saw me as his most prized possession, I was the best firebender around. He always took credit but honestly it was all because my mother who taught me. She made sure I never bended out of hate or anger which taught me a lot. Now my father showed me off all the time making sure everyone knew who we were.

The Riki family.

My grandfather was a Fire sage on Cresent Island but he would come to teach me a few things. He would tell me stories about the Avatar, he was my mother's father. My grandfather still told me how the Avatar would come back and save everyone, restore the balance, but when I brought it up to my father he would lash out at me.
He would tell me that the Avatar vanished and wasn't coming back, the cycle had ended and the Fire Nation was so close to victory. I didn't want to give up hope but, after my mother passed I had a hard time holding onto that hope because I was busy with school and training, eventually I was losing hope because he never came.

I was now with the last man, I dodged his blasts or I blocked them before throwing him into a pillar. I sighed and turned to Fire Lord Ozai.

"Excellent." I bowed to Ozai thanking him. "I see your daughter is quiet skilled for her age. Azula is around the same level and she can lightning bend."

"Maybe she can teach, Mirai." My father said and smiled at me but I wanted to roll my eyes.

"Ursa, take the children and excuse us." Ozai said I walked over to them as we walked out.

"Let's go." Ursa said but I looked back at my father. "How about we go outside and wait for Mai and Ty Lee."

"Let's go, Mirai." Azula pulled me over and I followed.

We went outside and we met up with Ty Lee and Mai. Mai and I sat under the tree. I laid on my stomach reading a book, Azula did a cartwheel falling over then Ty Lee did one perfectly but Azula shoved her over.

"Azula!" I said and she looked over at me, she ran over taking my book. "Stop, come on give it back."

"What's it about?" She asked flipping through the pages. I couldn't tell her it was Love amongst the Dragons because she would probably think Zuko gave it to me and then she would throw it in the fountain or burn it.

"Just a book about flowers." I lied but even that couldn't save it, she threw it behind me just barely missing the fountain and laughed. I went after it and saw her whispering something to Ty Lee.
   It was about Mai. It was no surprise that Mai liked Zuko. I thought he was cute but I found him annoying like a little brother, even though we were the same age.