CHAPTER 05

After breakfast the next morning, I had left because I had to go grab my backpack so I could leave with the Avatar and his friends. I picked up the mask and looked at it, I was going to have to say goodbye to two of my only friends. The greatest friends I've ever had.

The only true friends I've ever had.

"You're...the rogue firebender?" I jumped and looked at Annchi and Daiyu both had broken looks on their faces.

The Rouge Bandit was what the Fire Nation called me since I started attacking them in the nights, I did it often just to help the people of Omashu. I did it for them but it also made me feel better, well not right now.. Right now I felt like disappearing.

"Hey.." I said hiding the mask behind my back. "What are you doing here?"

"We came to say goodbye to our friend." Daiyu replied coldly. "but we clearly don't know who she really is."

"Look, I didn't tell you because I was scared." I admitted and hoped they would understand.

"You were scared?!" Daiyu raised her voice. "We've been hanging out with an Ash maker!"

I took a step back but looked at Annchi who glanced away saddened. "I hate the Fire Nation as much as you guys, it's why I left. That's why I want to help the Avatar take down the Firelord." Neither of them said anything, Daiyu just shot daggers at me with her stare while Annchi still looked away.
"You don't have to believe me and I can't force you to... I'm leaving today but please don't tell anyone."

"Why? so you can go spy on another village?" Daiyu asked, it was almost like a slap in the face.

"No...I don't want you guys to get hurt." I replied. "My father is a ruthless man and if he ever found out I was here or knew I was with you two-"

   I looked at Annchi waiting for her to say something, to sweep in and saved me. I didn't expected what she had to say.
   "You don't have to worry about us. We never knew you."

"Oh.." I breathed, the pit in my stomach heavier than before.

"We'll keep your secret, but you can never come back." She said tears forming in her eyes.

"Right." I whispered and picked up my bag. "Thank you again."

I walked past them, my heart racing like never before and I begged in my head for them to stop or for my own feet to stop and beg them for their forgiveness. But I made it out of the tent.
   A tear slipped down my face but I wiped it away as I came face to face with Sokka.

"A..are you-"

"I'm fine." I lied as I walked past him.

"Mirai, wait!" He called and came over, he hesitantly patted my shoulder. "It'll get better."

"I know." I replied and we walked over to the others. Sokka took my pack onto the bison and we waited for Aang.

"You realize we're probably walking right into a trap." Sokka said to the Avatar as he came down with the baby.

"I don't think so." Aang replied. "I'm sure the governor wants his son back as much as we want Bumi.
   It's a new day, I have a good feeling about this."

"Really?" I asked and I looked at them. "I have a sick feeling."

   "We're kind of an optimistic bunch." Aang smiled welcoming.

   I nodded, it was good to know. Sokka helped me onto the bison and I could tell that he still felt sorry for me.
I looked back as we took off and I saw Annchi. She looked hurt as we got further and further away until I could no longer see her. A sigh passed my lips as I turned around, I felt another pat on my shoulder again it was Sokka. I gave him a tight smile and placed on my mask, since I didn't want Mai remembering me.

We stood waiting on a platform where they were building the statue of Fire Lord Ozai. Sokka was holding the baby. While Katara, Aang, and I stood ready to fight.
Three girls walked up and I knew all three girls. I felt a shiver run up my back as I looked at my old school mates, Azula's eyes paused on me and I kept my eyes locked on her she looked at me like she could see under the mask. We heard laughing and saw a crane machine lowering a metal capsule that held King Bumi.

"You brought my brother?" Mai asked.

"He's here!" Aang announced. Sokka was holding the child. "We're ready to trade."

"I'm sorry but a thought just occurred to me." Azula spoke up then looked at Mai. "Do you mind?"

"Of course not Princess Azula." Mai replied.

"We're trading a two year old for a King, a powerful earthbending King." Azula spoke. "It just doesn't seem like a fair trade does it?"

"You're right." Mai walked up. "The deals off!"

   They raised King Bumi. Aang jumped up and Azula saw it was the Avatar so she went up to stop him.
Mai and Ty Lee came running at us, Mai with her stupid knives. Katara and I got ready to fight and I glanced back at Sokka blowing on a broken whistle.

"Cheap whistle." I said.

"No, I'm way ahead of ya!" He smiled then the baby took the whistle and we started running.

I saw Sokka trip and almost fall off the platform. Ty Lee came from the floor and ran towards Sokka. Katara was blocking Mai's knives so I used my kyoketsu-shoge to stop Ty Lee. I pulled her back. Sokka managed to get away with the baby.

"Be careful around the pink one." I said while trying to help stop Mai.

"Why?" Katara asked freezing the girl's arm.

"She's a-" Katara was jabbed by Ty Lee as I shot her away. "Chi blocker." I finished but it was too late, Katara's arms went limp.

"How are you gonna fight without your bending?" Mai smirked ready to throw her weapon but it was hit with a boomerang.

"I can manage." Sokka said from Appa and he slammed the wood causing them to fall back, Katara and I got on and we started flying away.

"There's Aang!" Katara pointed out. Aang was riding on the crate Bumi was in with Azula on their tail.

"We can catch them." Sokka said and we got down.

I shot fire stopping Azula, as Aang, tried jumping with Bumi but missed. Azula managed to follow them once again, still giving her tasks her all. We, on the other hand lost the two, so we continued looking over.
When we did find Aang, he didn't have King Bumi but he explained why he didn't bring Bumi, not in depth but he did tell us it's what Bumi wanted so we listened to him.

⇨ ⇨ ⇨

Later that night he went to return Tom-Tom and now we know that Azula had two girls helping her.

"We have to be more careful." I told them as we were flying away. "These girls are really good at what they do, I mean for two nonbenders."

"I can take them down." Sokka said proudly and I shook my head.

"Sure you can." I sarcastically said and leaned back. "Thank you for somewhat trusting me."

"Eh, you seem like you're actually on our side." Sokka replied. "And I guess Aang does need a firebending teacher."

"Geez thanks." I muttered.

He smiled. "Those girls...they seemed to have really liked you."

"They were my only real friends I've ever had." I admitted then looked over at him, my heart skipped a beat because this was the first time in years that I actually talked openly about my feelings.
I don't like this feeling.
   "I don't feel like talking about it."

"Right!" He nodded and he lied back.

————————
Edited; 11/25/20
Re-Edited; 7/20/21