CHAPTER 37

Most of our travel we had to stay hidden in a cloud made by both Katara and Aang, we were just finding a good place to hide within the Fire Nation.
   It had only been a few days since we left the others, I wasn't complaining anymore because I knew that it was the best thing for us to do.

"I think I see a cave below." Aang announced and we saw it.

"Shh keep quiet!" Sokka whisper yelled.
We landed and Sokka quickly ducked behind the rock from the birds. "Great job with the cloud camo but next time let's disguise ourselves as the kind of cloud that knows how to keep it's mouth shut." Sokka said.

"Yeah we wouldn't want a bird to hear us chatting up there and turning us in." Toph replied.

"Hey!" Sokka snapped. "We're in enemy territory, those are enemy birds."

We laughed as the bird stepped onto his head. The three of us started to head into the cave but Sokka dived in, before us and looked around the cave.

"Well this is it." He said. "This is how we'll be living until the invasion begins, hiding in cave after cave, after cave, after cave."

"Sokka, we don't need to become cave people." I said. "What we need is some Fire Nation clothes."

"Yeah, blending in is better than hiding out." Aang said. "If we get Fire Nations disguises we'll be just as safe as hiding in a cave."

"Plus they have real food out there." Toph said. "Does anyone want to sit in the dirt and eat cave hoppers?"

She slammed her fist on the wall and white insects, cricket like creatures, came out Momo ran up and took a bite out of the bug. I cringed with disgust at the sight when he turned to us.

"Looks like we got out voted sport." Sokka told the animal. "Let's get some new clothes."

⇨ ⇨ ⇨

We peeked over the rocks at the clothes that were just hanging on a clothing line. "I don't know about this." Aang said. "These clothes belong to somebody."

   "Yeah someone who can afford to buy more." I told him and smiled.

I smirked and ran in pulling clothes off the line. I came back and they looked at me. "Hey I had to do this all the time, honestly I'm not ashamed of it."

"I knew I like you for a reason." Toph said with a smile.

They headed out while I changed. It was true that I did this as often as possible, just in the closest town to the island, especially after a growth spurt. As I said before, I wasn't ashamed of stealing the clothes because I always picked people that looked rich enough. Sometimes I just told fabrics from shop and made my own clothes, nothing too out there. It's fine
   Once they got their clothes they changed too. I walked out my arm propped on Sokka's shoulder. He looked at me and a blush crossed his face.

"Wow you look...you look great." His voice cracked.

I smirked. "You look great too. You two as well." I looked over at Aang and Toph.

"I should probably wear shoes." Toph spoke. "But then I won't be able to see as well. Sorry shoes." She kicked the bottoms off and it hit Sokka in the face. "Finally a stylish shoe for the blind earthbender."

"Start a shoe shop." I teased.

"How do I look?" Katara asked. I noticed Aang blush.

"Uh, your mom's necklace." Aang pointed out.

"Oh, oh yeah." Katara spoke. "I guess it's pretty obviously Water Tribe isn't it?" She she took it off.

Katara put on a red necklace, Toph put on a golden headband, I wore earrings and bracelets. Sokka tied his wolf tail with a hair tie that had a fire sigh, and Aang shoved Momo in his jacket.

"I used to visit my friend Kuzon here a hundred years ago." Aang said. "So everyone just follow my lead and stay cool or as they say in the Fire Nation, stay flamin."

He walked out and Sokka and Katara looked at me. "I wanna see where this goes." I said and followed so they did too.

"Greetings my good hotman." Aang said to the man. I chuckled at the confused guy.

We walked to the food shop. "Oh we're going to a meat place?" Aang asked.

"Come on Aang, everyone here eats meat." Sokka said and pointed to a hippo cow. "Even the meat!"

"You guys go ahead." Aang said. "I'll just get some lettuce out of the garbage."

Sokka shrugged and we walked into the shop getting food and then headed out only to see Aang was gone.

"Oh no do you think he was captured somehow?" Katara asked worried.

"He probably just got excited over something." Sokka said walking away. "We'll wait for him back at the cave then if he doesn't show up we'll search for him."

   "What a great plan." I said sarcastically.

   "I know, I know, no need to praise me." He smiled and walked ahead.

⇨ ⇨ ⇨

We followed him back to the cave and I started a fire with the wood we picked up. The four of us were sitting around the fire in silence, I was sharpening the knives I had and cleanining the chains from my weapon of choice.
Aang finally came back as the sun had already set.

"Where have you been? We've been worried sick!" Katara said.

"I got invited to play with some kids after school." Aang replied and Sokka shot up.

"After what?!"

"I enrolled in a Fire Nation school and I'm going back tomorrow." Aang explained.

"Enrolled in what?!" Sokka fell down.

I rolled my eyes. "He's wearing a school uniform, let me guess you were caught playing hookie." I said and he nodded with a smile.

"Why didn't you say anything?!" Sokka asked.

"Honestly, I hated school and I sort of chose to forget as much as I could about the place" I replied resting my head back on Appa. "I forgot how strict this place was about their corrupted history and education."

"Aang, I'm trying to be mature and not immediately shoot down your idea." Sokka said. "But it sounds really terrible."

"Yeah, we got our outfits." Toph said. "What do you need to go to school for?"

"Every minute I'm in that classroom, I'm learing new things about the Fire Nation." Aang said.

"Hello!!" Sokka shook me.

I shoved him off. "I already have a picture of Firelord Ozai." Aang held up the poster then another. "And here's one that I made out of noodles!"

"Impressive, I admit." Sokka said. "But I still think it's too dangerous!"

"I guess we'll never find out about the secret river then." Aang said. "It goes right to the Firelords palace, we were supposed to learn about it in class tomorrow-"

"Mirai, where is it?" Sokka asked with his arms crossed. I glanced at Aang who was begging me, so he could go back to school.

I sighed. "No clue, maybe Aang, should go one more day."

"Hmm I am a fan of secret rivers." Sokka said. "Fine let's stay a few more days."

"Flameo hotman!" Aang cheered and got up.

"Flameo?!" Sokka asked confused.

"I have no clue." I shrugged. "The lingo must have changed in the last 100 years, for the better."

—————————
Edited; 7/31/21