CHAPTER 51

Even though I didn't want to, I started to get my hopes up really high. It was a good feeling but I knew that it could potentially end badly and I would probably be more than disappointed.

   "You're gonna have to learn how to draw your firebending from a different source." Toph explained. "I recommend the original source."

   "How's he supposed to do that?" Sokka asked jokingly. "By jumping into a volcano?!"

   "No." Toph answered. "Zuko, needs to go back to whatever the original source of firebending is."

   "So is it jumping into a volcano?" Sokka asked now curious.

   "I don't know?" Toph replied and set her bowl down. "For earthbending the original earthbenders were badger moles.
   One day when I was little I ran away and hid in a cave, that's where I met them. They were blind just like me, so we understood each other, I was able to learn earthbending not just as a martial art but as an extension of my senses. For them the original earthbender it wasn't just about fighting it was their way of interacting with the world."

   "That's amazing, Toph!" Aang said "I learned from the monks but the original airbenders were the sky bison." He looked over to Appa. "Maybe you can give me a lesson sometime, buddy."

   "Well, that doesn't help me." Zuko said. "The original firebenders were the dragons and they're extinct."

   "What do you mean?" Aang asked Zuko. "Roku, had a dragon and there were plently of dragons when I was a kid."

   "WELL THEY AREN'T AROUND ANYMORE OKAY?!" Zuko yelled defensively.

   "Okay okay, I'm sorry." Aang apologized.

   "I don't know. Maybe it doesn't have to be dragons." I spoke and looked at them. "When I was younger my mother and Grandfather told me about the first people to learn from the dragons, the ancient Sun Warriors."

   "Sun Warriors?" Aang asked. "Well, I know they weren't around when I was a kid."

   "No, they died off thousands of years ago." Zuko said and I walked away with them. "But their civilization wasn't too far from where we are now, maybe we can learn something by poking around their ruins."

   "It's like what the monks used to tell me," Aang replied. "Sometimes the shadow of the past can be filled by the present."

   "So what? Maybe you'll pick up some super old Sun Warrior energy just by standing where they stood a thousand years ago?" Sokka asked.

   "More or less." Zuko replied. "Either I find a new way to firebend or the Avatar has to find a new teacher."

‧͙⁺˚* ☀︎⁺‧͙

   That night we went to sleep but in the morning we packed up on Appa and waited to say a quick goodbye.

   "Maybe you should stay back." Sokka pulled me down and I glared at him. "I know I know. You can take care of yourself, it's the jerk I'm worried about."

   He glared over at Zuko who was getting lectured by Kaida and she was talking about safety and watching over Aang. I chuckled then turned Sokka to face me.

   "Obsessed much?" I teased.

   He sighed. "You have no bending and I don't see what the point is of you also going, they can come back and tell you the secret of it." I tilted my head asking him what was really wrong. "I don't want to be the only non bender."