CHAPTER 09

We stopped at another Earth Kingdom town again getting supplies, at least this one didn't have a grudge against the Avatar. We continued to look around and stopped, waiting for Sokka to make up his mind over a purse.

"It's pricey but I really do like it." Sokka said.

"Then you should get it, you deserve something nice." Katara told her brother.

"I do, don't I?" Sokka claimed. "But no it's too expensive, I shouldn't."

"Then don't." I said and we walked away but he went back to get it and pulled me along with him as he purchased it.

"What do you think?" He asked.

"It's perfect." I replied. "If I had money I would buy you a belt to match." The smile that he once had fell.

   "It's nice, it would be fine." Sokka said and I gave a tight smile.

   We walked over to Aang and Katara as they looked at a flyer for earthbending classes. "I thought I was gonna teach you firebending."

"Oh uh..you are!" Aang panicked. "But I should learn Earthbending first right? Come on let's check it out."

I looked at Katara and Sokka who seemed to agree with him. The three of us waited outside the courtyard while Aang went in to learn with a bunch of kids much younger than him.

"So why is Aang, avoiding firebending?" I asked and Katara looked away. "Look if you want my help I have to know these thing or I'm just here wasting my time."

"Aang, burned Katara, when he was learning to do so the first time." Sokka said.

"So he's afraid.." I said to myself then Aang came out.

"Ehh.. He's not the one." Aang said then two boys walked out talking.

"I think The Boulders gonna win back the belt rumble six." The first boy said.

"He's gonna have to fight his way through the best earthbenders in the world to even get a shot at the champ." The second one replied.

"Excuse me!" Aang called and ran up to them. "But where is this tournament exactly?"

"It's on the island of nun ya." The boy said. "Nun ya business!" They laughed walking away.

Sokka laughed. "I gotta remember that!"

Katara offered to take care of it so she ran after the boys and I stayed back with Aang and Sokka.

"What was I thinking?" Sokka asked looking at his bag. "I don't need a new bag, why'd you let me buy this?"

"Right." I said watching Momo get in. "You could have gotten me a sleeping bag."

"Why would I do that?" Sokka asked and I tripped him backwards.

"You ready to find an earthbending teacher?" Katara ran back. "Because we're going to earth rumble six!"

"How'd you get them to tell you?" Aang asked.

"Oh a girl has her ways." Katara replied and I smiled.

⇨ ⇨ ⇨

That night we went to the arena and found seats that were empty, it did confuse us. If they sat here more people would have shown up.

"Hey! Front row seats!" Aang said as we sat down. "I wonder why no one else is sitting here."

I was pulled against Sokka's chest as a boulder slammed next to us. "That's probably why." I said. Stupid near death experiences!

"Do you want to switch places?" Sokka asked me his arms still wrapped around me.

"No, I'm fine..." I answered pushing away, not trying to be rude about it.

   We turned to watch the show, I couldn't really pay much attention because my heart was quickly beating and I thought this was it. I was gonna die and it had nothing to do with the Avatar. I glanced at Sokka, he wasn't ugly but I didn't think I would be attracted to him.
I mean his smile did look really cute but he was also really annoying. Plus he already has two girls on his mind.

"This is just gonna be a bunch of guys chucking rocks at each other, isn't it?" Katara asked uninterested.

"That's what I paid for." Sokka replied.

The crowd cheered at The Boulder vs The Big Bad Hippo, I didn't find it very interesting so I sat back thinking of ways to convince Aang to firebending. I couldn't just force him to do it since fire is such a dangerous element. I sighed and rested my elblows on my knees and set my chin in my hands.
Aang didn't know if he wanted the Boulder to be his teacher. Sokka seemed to be enjoying the show. I was sort of interested to see the Fire Nation man and everyone boo'd him.

"Booo!" Sokka called.

"Sokka!" I hissed but he ignored me.

People began to throw rocks at the guy and even though I hated the Fire Nation too, I didn't care very much.

"Go back to the Fire Nation!" Sokka yelled and that's when I hit him with my elbow.

"Oops, it was an accident." I lied and he placed a hand on my shoulder, I shrugged it off.

"I wasn't saying it to you." He said. "You're cool."

"Go back to enjoying your show." I replied coldly then I felt a pull and I was pressed up against Sokka as The Fire Nation guy landed next to us. "Than-" Sokka cut me off with a loud cheer and I sighed.
I don't like him. I just hated being compared to these monsters.

"The Boulder knows how to put the hurt in the dirt!" Sokka yelled and I pinched the bridge of my nose.

The fight continued as we watched The Boulder beat everyone he was up against, finally we were down to the last opponent.

"Now for the moment you've all been waiting for." The host announced. "The Boulder vs your champion The Blind Bandit!"

The crowd cheered at the little girl holding up the belt. Now this was intriguing.

"She can't really be blind," Katara said unsure. "It's just part of her character right?"

"I think she is." I said seeing her clouded eyes.

"I think she is- GOING DOWN!" Sokka said and I smirked.

"Wanna make a bet?" I asked and he glanced at me.

"All right! You're on! No one can take down the Boulder!" He yelled and I rolled my eyes.

"I win you give me 50 copper pieces." I smiled and he agreed.

"I win, you... Give me your kyoketsu-shoges." He said and I agreed with no fear, we shook hands and began to watch.

"The Boulder feels conflicted about fighting a young blind girl." The Boulder said.

"Sounds to me like you're scared, Boulder!" The blind bandit spoke.

The boulder said he was done being conflicted and they started, the girl quickly won and I smirked over at Sokka.

"No!" Sokka cried.

"Pay up, ponytail guy.." I smiled and he handed me a bag of coins.

The host announced that an audience member could go up and fight the girl for a bag of gold pieces. No one wanted it but Aang did want to talk to the girl.

"Go Aang! Avenge the Boulder!" Sokka called.

"Do people really wanna see two little girls fighting out here!?" The blind bandit asked and the crowd oo'ed.

Aang told her he didn't really want to fight that he wanted to talk and Sokka boo'd him. Katara hit her brother and the fight began. Aang knocked the girl down, without using any Earthbending but she was leaving and Aang went to go talk to her.
We went down to the fighting ring and Sokka hugged the host and took the money and belt for Aang.

————————
Edited; 11/26/20
Re-Edited; 7/22/21