CHAPTER 19

After the giant threat from the Avatar the Sandbenders offered to take us out of the bowl of sad, so they escorted us out of the desert, we walked for a while and I did miss Appa. I got tired of flying but now that we spent some time fighting for our lives in the desert without him and walking miles, I realized that I took the big guy for granted.
   When we made it out, we found a water hole and I was the first to get to shower in privacy. We spent a lot of time together but it was only because we didn't have Appa or a plan on how to move forward.
Aang, Katara, and I were playing in the water at our stop. Sokka was looking over a map and Toph was just splashing her feet. It was relaxing for once. I got Katara to create an ice board for me and I laid on it peacfully drifting.

"Waterbending bomb!" Katara called and jumped in from the cliff causing a shower of water. We all laughed, everyone except Sokka.

"Sure, 5000 year old maps from the spirit library." He complained. "Just splash some water on them."

"Sorry" Katara apologized and dried it.

I got off and swam over. "Ease up, Sokka, relax. Come in! The waters great."

"No, we can't be wasting valuable time!" He said and I sighed walking over, picking up a towel and dried my body.

"Did you find out which route we're gonna take?" I asked as we sat around him and looked at the map.

"Okay, we just got out of the desert so we must be around here." He pointed to the map. "And we need to go to Ba Sing Se which is here. It looks like the only passage connecting the North and the South is this sliver of land called The Seprents Pass."

"You're sure that's the best way to go?" Toph asked.

"It's the only way." Sokka replied. "I mean, it's not like we have Appa to fly us there."

"Shush up about, Appa." Katara whispered to her brother. "Can't you at least try to be sensitive?"

We looked at Aang, he said that it was okay and that he just wanted to focus on getting to Ba Sing Se and telling the Earth King about the solar eclipse.

"Then to Ba Sing Se we go!" Sokka rolled up the map. "No more distractions."

"Hello, there fellow refugees!" We looked at the family, the man waving to us. Sokka frowned.

"So are you guys headed to Ba Sing Se too?" Aang asked.

"Sure are." The man replied. "We're trying to get there before my wife, Ying, has her baby."

"Great we can travel through the Serpents Pass together." Katara told them.

The family looked terrified and the lady told us that only the desperate take the deadly route.
"Good going ponytail." I said to Sokka.

"We are desperate!" He told me.

The man told us to go with them to Full Moon Bay, ferries take refugees to the city and it's the safest way. We argeed to that and took off.

"Oh well." I shrugged at Sokka who grumbled.

⇨ ⇨ ⇨

We walked to this Full Moon Bay secret tunnel and the wall was brought down. We walked in and saw all the tents and people that were out here.

"I can't believe how many people's lives have been uprooted by the Fire Nation." Katara said and I felt sad for all of them.

"They're all looking for a better life." The man said. "Safe behind the walls of Ba Sing Se."

"You guys go ahead." Sokka told them and they went ahead, he pulled me to stay back.

"I can never understand what goes though their minds when they burn down villages.." I said still looking around. "Most times I hate being a firebender."

"Mirai, you can't control that." Sokka said and raised my chin to look at him. "Don't blame yourself for what your father or anyone else in that nation does against these people because it's not your fault."

"I know..." I said and sighed. "I really hope we can stop this war soon."
   I pulled his hand away from my chin and he held it as we walked looking for the others.

They were waiting in line to get tickets on the ferry. A cranky lady was yelling at the man in front of us.
"I told you already! No vegtables on my ferry! One cabbage slug could destroy the entire ecosystem of Ba Sing Se, security!" She pointed over to a platypus bear destroying the mans cart.

"MY CAAABAGES!" The man cried as the guards took him away.

Must be strict if they took away his cabbages.

"NEXT!" She called and Aang walked up.

The lady told us we need passports and that we couldn't bring Momo. When we told her Aang was the Avatar she didn't buy it and said she's seen a lot of kids claiming to be Avatars, and we looked over to see them. We were about to leave but Toph said she would take care of it and got us our tickes after showing her an official Beifong family slip.
Toph called us her imbecile valets and Momo was her seeing eye lemur and just like that we got five tickets.

"All right! we scammed that lady good!" Sokka cheered.

"Hey loud mouth, shut up." I warned.

He smiled down at me, my heart fluttered and I smirked at him but he was suddenly pulled back.

"Tickets and passports please!" A girl said and held out her hand.

"Is there a problem?" Sokka asked, not even trying to hide the worry in his voice.

"Yeah!" She jabbed her finger into the scared boy's chest. "I got a problem with you. I've seen your type before, probably sarcastic, think you're hilarious, and let me guess you're traveling with the Avatar."

"She got you down to the tip!" I smirked and he glanced back at me clearly not happy with the comment so I cleared my throat. "Anyways Do you guys know each other?" I asked.

"Yeah? Do I know you?" Sokka asked confused.

A smile grew on the girl's lips. "You really don't remember me?" The girl asked and she pulled him closer, smiling at him. "It's me, Suki!"

"SUKI!" Sokka gleamed he let go of my hand to hug her.

I never saw myself as the jealous type but when his hand slipped out of my grip I felt hurt and missed it. I watched with a glare as they hugged each other. When I noticed it was long I cleared my throat loudly grabbing their attention, not wanting to feel like some third-wheel.

"Mirai, this is Suki!" Sokka quickly introduced me and I raised my hand giving a wave. "This is the Kyoshi warrior, I've mentioned before."

"Uh, Hi." I said.

"Suki, this is Mirai." Sokka moved closer to the girl with short hair. "Aang's firebending teacher."

Sokka was taking her with us to go meet up with the others and I walked behind them looking at the way she laughed with him.
I rolled my eyes. I don't have to be jealous, I liked myself. Self love that's all I need. I thought I was calm but then I saw their fingers brush against each other so I walked in between them stumbling forward.

"Sorry." I smiled nervously and rubbed the back of my head.

"No problem." Suki smiled and we continued walking.

This was the girl he mentioned when we went back to Kyoshi Island. So much for making a difference in the world.

I hate this jealous feeling.

————————
Edited; 11/28/20
Re-Edited; 7/23/21