Chapter 33 - Beastiary

Derek wasn’t the type to just go out and sit down at a café, especially with someone, so something told me that he wanted to talk.

“Okay, we got coffee and we’re sitting down. What do you wanna talk about?” I asked him.

“What makes you think I didn’t just wanted coffee?” I answered his question with a blank stare – one I had learn from him. “Fine, I want to talk.”

“About the Kanima?”

“No, about why you were so mad last night. If I know what you’re angry about then I might be able to help you find an anchor.”

I looked down at the table and then back up at Derek, “Okay.” I told him everything, from my parents’ divorce to the restraining order and even Matt. It felt good to get it out.

“How long has your mum been like this?”

“As long as I can remember, but it got really bad during the divorce.”

BING! Derek’s phone went off.

“It’s Boyd. He said he overheard Scott and Stiles talking about something called a beastiary.”

“Like the books they had in medieval times? Kind of like a dictionary of animals or mythology?” I asked.

“Yes, but it’s not myth.”

“Clearly.” I said more to myself.

“Alright let’s go.”

“Where?”

“To the lacrosse game.”

In 15 minutes we were at the lacrosse fields. Just as I was about to walk over to the grand stand Derek grabbed my arm and pulled me back into the shadows. “No, we’re observing from a distance. We also have to be quiet, we’re closer than we were the other day and Scott could hear us.” Derek whispered in my ear.

“When you say observing do you also mean ease dropping?”

“Yes, consider it part of your training. Now that the pack is bigger you should be able to hear things from a further distance if you focus.”

“Focus on what?”

“Whatever Jackson, Danny and that other guy are talking about.” He said nodding in their direction.

“That other guy is Matt, by the way.” I said as I closed my eyes and pushed my hair away from my ears.

“Relax, it’s my camera okay. He just needed to ask me some questions.” Matt said talking to Jackson.

“Matt’s the one who found it anyway.” Danny said jumping in.

“Found what?”

Picking up his tablet, Danny showed Jackson. “There.” Matt said pointing at the screen.

“There what?”

“It’s an edit point, it’s been looped, two hours’ worth.” Danny said.

“What does that mean?”

“That means there is two hours of footage… missing.” Matt said.

Coach blew the whistle, causing me to flinch and jump back. “They’re talking about when Jackson taped himself on the full moon aren’t they.” I asked Derek.

“Mhmm.”

“Does that mean he did turn?”

“Possibly.”

“He didn’t lie though. When I spoke to him he was too scared too and I remember everything from the full moon so I don’t see why Jackson wouldn’t.”

“I’m still working on that, but I guess it’s possible for him to block it out.”

The game started and Beacon Hills was being thrashed. There was this giant guy on the field and there was no way he was 16 or 17 years old. Our players were being thrown around like feathers. The number of guys sitting on the bench was severely decreasing. Suddenly Stiles got up and walked away.

“Where’s Stiles going?” I asked just as he got some keys off Alison.

“Looking for the beastiary, maybe.”

“Should I follow him?”

“No, Erica can.” I was starting to think that Derek didn’t want me to have anything to do with Stiles for some reason.

“You! Can you play lacrosse?” Coach yelled and pointed at Boyd from the stadium.

“Aaah Derek.” I asked really nervous.

“I’m going with Erica to follow Stiles you’re staying here and making sure Boyd doesn’t kill anyone.”

“I think you would be better at that then me.” I said looking at Boyd as he stood up and took his jacket off.

“You’ll be fine, just go and find a spot to sit.” Derek said then walked off while grabbing out his phone to text Erica.

“This is not good.” I said to myself.