Chapter 32 - Training With Derek

It was time for training again. However today was different. Boyd was observing and taking in things about how to fight, I on the other hand was just watching. Isaac and Erica got all the action. After last night I think Derek thinks I could explode at any moment.

Isaac stood at the end of the room while Derek was at the other. Isaac started running forward jumping over obstacles and doing some flips. He was charging at Derek. At the speed he was going he could probably run straight through a glass door and not even notice, however, Derek didn’t flinch. As Isaac jumped at Derek he was thrown away like a piece of paper. He tried it again and again, always making the same mistakes. Boyd seemed to be enjoying himself and on Isaac’s third attempt Erica decided she might try and surprise Derek by jumping off the top of the train, but all that ended in was her skidding across the floor and joining Isaac.

“Does anyone wanna try not being completely predictable?” Derek asked frustrated.

Then something I didn’t expect happened. Erica jumped up into Derek’s arms and kissed him. I think she was taking her newly found self-confidence a little too far, and I didn’t like it, but Derek being Derek, like before, threw her off him and onto the floor.

“That’s the last time you do that.” He said wiping his lips

“Why, because I’m a beta?” I couldn’t help but smile. Lately Erica wasn’t use to being rejected.

“No. Because I have someone else in mind for you.”

“Who?” she asked curiously

“Scott.”

“What? Why can’t Anna do that? She went to winter formal with him.”

“Yeah as a friend and he’s less inclined to punch you then me at the moment. And apart from the fact I have known him forever and it would be weird, he’s really not my type.” I said hoping that Derek wouldn’t change his mind.

“Are we done?” Isaac asked. “I have about a hundred bones that need a few hours to heel.”

Oh god, Isaac, never complain in training. This is not going to end well.

Derek looked at him and gave a half smile and bent down to Isaac’s level and took his hand. With one quick movement he bent Isaac’s arm back causing a cracking sound and made Isaac yell out. I couldn’t stop the cringe that crossed my face.

“A hundred and one. You think I’m teaching you how to fight? Huh? Look at me! I’m teaching you how to survive.” Derek let go of Isaac’s arm and stood up. He started to walk away and then turned back around.

“If they wanted us dead then why aren’t they coming for us now?” Isaac asked, still holding his arm. “What are they waiting for?”

“I don’t know, but they are planning something and you, especially you, know that’s not our only problem.” He said to Isaac and then spoke to us all. “Whatever that thing is that killed Isaac’s father, I think it killed someone else last night and until I find out what it is, you all need to learn what I know. As fast as I can teach you.” With that Derek walked back in the train.

Isaac and Erica slowly got up. “Can you still give us a ride to school, Anna?” Boyd asked after about a minute of silence.

“Aah yeah, actually Isaac can you take my car and drop them off? I’m not really up for school today.” I didn’t need to elaborate, Isaac knew I was still kind of scared of what I might do after last night.

“Sure.” He said taking my keys from me and walking out with Erica and Boyd.

“Just make sure no-one sees you!” I yelled after him.

I waited until I heard the car pull away. “Derek?”

“What is it?” he asked, walking back out of the train and stopping in the doorway.

“Who did it kill last night? Was it another hunter?”

“No. It was a man about the same age, I think his name was Tucker.”

“What? The mechanic?”

“Yeah, you know him?”

“Not really. I met him last night. Is Stiles okay? We took his car to Tucker’s garage.”

“He’s fine.” Derek said, but there was a slight bitterness to his voice. “Why do you always ask about Stiles and not Scott?”

“What do you mean?”

“The night of the full moon you never asked if Scott was okay or if he had run into any hunters you only asked about Stiles and just now you seemed more concerned about Stiles then you were about Scott yesterday at the ice rink.”

I let out a slight nervous laugh. “Stiles isn’t a werewolf; he can’t heel as fast and he’s less likely to be able to defend himself.”

“Hmm. Well you ready?” Derek said clearly changing the subject.

“For what?”

“Your training on control.”

“I thought you were giving me the day off.”

“Did I ever say those words?”

“No…”

“Then let’s go.”

“This should be fun. Another hour of being thrown against hard surfaces.”

“Two hours.” Derek said smiling.

For the first time since my first session Derek made the first move. He lunged forward reaching for my throat. I took a deep breath and let the werewolf in me take over. Dodging his attack, I ducked and turned around so that my back was never facing his. Just as Derek was about to turn around to face me I kicked him in the stomach. Scratch that, I tried to kick him in the stomach. Just as I was about to make impact he grabbed my leg and spun it, and me, so I landed on the ground for the millionth time in less than two weeks.

Fun times.

“Ow.” Standing and hovering above me Derek did NOT look impressed. “Okay, what? Are you going to break my arm too? It’s slightly hard to do something unpredictable when your opponent is an alpha who’s had a lifetime of experience.”

“Are you done?”

“Why are you in such a bad mood today? I almost attacked my own mother last night and you seemed fine with that, but now I can’t knock you to the ground and you’re pissed off?” I said sitting up. “Why can’t we have guns? We wouldn’t have to get too close to the hunters and they’d actually probably be more scared of us. Personally I think guns are more intimidating than nails.”

“Do you know how to use a gun?”

“No, but you more than likely do and I think it would be a lot easier teaching us that then to slam someone like you into a wall.”

“Someone like me?”

“You’re buff and experienced and an alpha and I’m little and unexperienced and a beta.” This earned me a smile.

“Come on.” He said, still with a small grin on his face.

“Where’re we going?”

“To get coffee. Something tells me I’m going to need it today.”

“Okay, but help me up, I think you broke some part of my spine.” I said holding out my hand. Without hesitation Derek pulled me up.