Chapter 1 - The Beginning

I looked at myself in the mirror and popped the pain killers in my mouth. It was one of my mum's bad nights. I don't know how she does it. She can be so sweet and loving one minute and then in an instant she changes. My caring mother who I love to pieces becomes a completely different person. She becomes violent. She threw the whisky bottle at me, smashing it on my arm and leaving some nice clean cuts, not deep enough to need stiches though. The worst part was that she didn't remember anything in the morning. I woke up and went to school and she went to work like nothing had happened the night before.

***

The next day I got into my car and drove to school. Once classes were over I decided to hang around a bit and do my homework. It was a boiling hot day and I was stuck in a jacket so no one could see the bandage on my arm.

"How are you not cooking?" said a familiar voice from behind me. I turned around to see Stiles hovering over me.

"Stiles, long time no talk," I said trying to change the subject, which he bought.

"Yeah. It has been a long time. Scott and I have been kind of busy lately… sorry."

I wanted to get to the bottom of this once and for all. They had been avoiding the question for weeks and I wanted answers.

"No. Scott has been busy with Lacrosse and with Alison. I haven’t seen you do anything you wouldn't normally do. So where have you been? Don't have a secret girlfriend you’re not telling me about do you." I said playfully nudging him in his shoulder, praying he would say no.

"Believe me Anna, if I had a girlfriend everyone would know about it," he chuckled. "I have just been hanging out with my dad a bit. We are finally starting to talk like we use to. You know, like before my mum died." He said giving me a weak smile. Stiles had never lied to me before and I could tell he was lying now. His dad had been flat out busy with all the unsolved murders that had been going on lately – him being the Sheriff and all. Stiles was also a horrible liar or at least he was to me, I could always tell.

"Well that’s good." I decided to just go with it. I was finding it hard to care about anything lately and I didn’t think he wanted to tell me, not without a good reason too anyway.

BING! Stiles received a text and looked down at his phone.

"Okay, I have to go. I’ll talk to you later. Bye Anna!" Stiles yelled as he was running down the hallway.

I decided to follow him and see if I could get some answers that way. I followed him to his car and then waited until he was out of the car park to get into mine and drive after him. I followed him until we got to his house. I looked up at his window and saw that there was another figure inside. I guessed it was Scott, but boy was I wrong.