Chapter 38 - Familiar Pair Of Blue Eyes

Scott and Stiles stood in my door way just staring at me.

“What’re you guys doing here and how did you get in? I locked that door.” I asked as I stood up from the couch.

“I have a key.” Stiles said holding up the key to my house. Before I could say anything Scott ran over to me and wrapped his arms around me. He was shortly joined by Stiles. It was like a giant group hug.

“Okay… guys… I can’t breathe.” I said after about a minute.

“Right, sorry.” Scott said.

“Ah, Anna I should probably go.” Matt jumped in.

“Oh, you don’t have too.”

“Yeah, but I should, my mum’s expecting me. I’ll see you around.” Matt said walking up to me and giving me a brief hug.

The room went silent until the sound of car tyres on gravel was no longer in ear shot. The silence was then followed by another hug from Stiles. “I’m so sorry! My dad told me last night and then I came over, but Derek answered the door and said you were asleep and we’ve been trying to ring you, but we never got a reply so the only option was to break in. How are you? Are you okay? Do you want anything? A place to crash? Food? Anything?” Anyone who didn’t know Stiles probably wouldn’t have understood a word he just said he was talking so fast.

“I’ll be fine Stiles and I just ate.” I said reassuringly.

“What about the place to crash. My mum said you can stay over if you want.” Scott said.

“N…” I was about to say no, but then changed my mind. “Actually that would be great.”

“Okay, I’ll give her a call.” Scott said dialling his mum and walking out of the room.

“Do you want me to ring my dad to get him to talk to the school so you can get the week off?”

“Yeah, I was just about to ring him about that actually.”

“Alright I’ll ring him now.” Stiles then left the room to ring his dad.

I was standing alone in my living room waiting for the boys to finish their calls. Considering the situation and aside from the ache in my chest that never seemed to go away I felt pretty good. Matt had made me feel heaps better and now I finally had Stiles and Scott back.

“Okay mum said she would make up a bed right away then she has to go to work, but if she isn’t there when we get back there’s leftovers in the fridge if we get hungry. And I know you just ate but food always helps.” I smiled. “What?” Scott asked looking at me.

“Nothing.” I said giving him a hug. “I’m just glad to have my best friend back.”

“Hey, hey. What about me?” Stiles jumped in. Walking over to stiles I gave him a hug as well. “That’s better.”

“Stiles, my mum said you could stay over as well.” Scott said.

“Awesome, like a slumber party. Oh, Anna dad said that he already arranged for you to have the week off.”

“Great, tell him thanks for me.”

We all drove off to Scott’s house in Stiles’ Jeep. When we got there Mrs McCall was just getting in the car.

“Anna!” She yelled and ran up to me. It was obvious she had been crying. Her and my mum were best friends after all. “Honey, I am so sorry. If you need anything you let me know, okay?”

“Yeah.” I said just as she pulled me into a hug. I was getting a few of them lately.

“Alright.” She said pushing back more tears. “I have to go to work.” Sniffling, she got in her car and drove off.

The “slumber party” was pretty casual. Stiles, Scott and I watched a couple of movies, one of which was the Wolf Man thanks to Stiles who thought it was fitting and the other was one of my choosing so I made the boys watch Titanic, which apparently wasn’t the best idea because it caused Stiles to cry which then got me going followed by Scott. So we all went to bed sniffling and with headaches. The next morning Scott and Stiles both went to school and I went to the sheriff’s station.

Sitting in Mr Stilinski’s office playing with a pad of sticky notes I started thinking. I was under age, which meant I couldn’t live on my own. Derek had told Mr Stilinski that he and Isaac’s father were close friends and managed to get custody of Isaac until he finished school because he didn’t have any other family. Something told me that wouldn’t work this time. I had other family, my dad and some cousins overseas somewhere who I hadn’t met.

“Anna, how are you today?” The sheriff asked, walking into the room.

“Better than I was.”

“That’s good. Well basically I’ve called you in here today because, well, you’re under age and…”

“I need someone to live with.” I cut in.

“Yes. It wasn’t easy, but I’ve pulled a few strings and have found someone and you won’t have to leave Beacon Hills.”

“Really? Who?”

“Hello Anna.” A voice said from behind me. Spinning around in my chair I was met by a very familiar pair of blue eyes.