Chapter 34 - Then... Nothing

By the time I had found a spot to sit Boyd had gotten changed and was on the field. The mountain of a teenager was running at him, but Boyd and his supernatural abilities sent him flying through the air with one shove. Everyone was cheering and Boyd loved it. Scott and I, however, did not.

Running up to Boyd, Scott said, “You have to get off the field. Your eyes, someone’s going to see you.” The referee blew the whistle and Boyd took off.

Scott looked up at me and I just shrugged my shoulders like I didn’t know what to do. It wasn’t like I could just drag him off the field by his ear. I don’t know what Derek expected me to do here. I still stand by the ‘he just didn’t want me near Stiles’ thing which I couldn’t seem to figure out why.

Suddenly Scott got the ball and ran across the field and scored a goal. Everyone jumped up and was cheering and screaming like crazy. Until another player knocked him down causing him to, I can only assume from the loud cracking noise, break his leg. Allison and I both ran to his side.

“I’m fine, it’s healing, I’m okay.”

“Scott, Gerard is coming.” I said looking over my shoulder.

“Oh my god, Scott, your leg. Your leg is broken.” Allison said looking at the badly positioned limb.

“Not for long.” Scott, with the help of Allison and me stood up.

Coach and Scott’s mum came running. “Whoa whoa whoa whoa, don’t move.” Coach said, clearly panicking about his star player.

“Scott?” Mrs McCall said, even more strained.

“It’s okay. I’m fine. I’m fine.” He said more reassuringly, but the smile on his face was clearly
fake – to me anyway.

“I could have sworn I literally heard bone breaking from where I sat.” said Mrs McCall.

You did. I thought to myself.

“And I felt it.” Said coach.

“Seriously guys, I’m fine.”

Alison walked over to Gerard. “We should go.”

“Hold on.” Gerard said.

Oh god, oh god, oh god, oh god.

“I wanna ask him one more thing… Would you like to come over for dinner?”

I couldn’t help the sigh of relief, although it was very sudden and unusual and I wasn’t sure what game he was playing, but I was praying he didn’t know anything. Before I heard Scott answer I took off after Boyd who was walking off the field.

“Hey, Boyd.” I said running up beside him.

“Yeah I know, it was stupid and reclass and I shouldn’t have done it, but I didn’t kill anyone.”

“Exactly, you were great. I could have done without the golden eyes, but you did well.”

“Thanks.” He said smiling. “That’s my mum. I have to go.” He said pointing over to a women standing in the car park. “You want a ride?”

“No I’m fine. I have to go back to the station to get my car from Isaac so I think I’ll just wait for Derek.”

“Alright, well I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Okay, bye!” I said running off in the direction Stiles went earlier.

I managed to track Stiles’ scent to the swimming pool, but just as I was about to walk down the corridor leading to the door of the pool someone came up behind me.

“Anna, what are you doing here?” Matt asked. He looked shocked and a little worried.

“Oh, hey Matt, I was just looking for Stiles, I saw him run off during the game.”

“To the swimming pools?”

“In this direction, I’m just guessing. How’ve you been? I haven’t seen you in a while.” I asked, desperately trying to change the subject.

“I’m great. How are you? And your parents on that note, last time we spoke things weren’t fantastic.”

“Wow. Has it really been a year?”

“About ten months actually.”

“Sorry, I probably should’ve kept in touch.”

“No problem, you had a lot going on. So how has it been?”

“Do you really not know?”

“Know what?” Matt asked, worriedly.

“My mum got her wish and won the court case. Dad had to move states and I haven’t seen him since.”

“Wow. I’m sorry and how’s your mum been?”

“Lately she’s been worse.”

“Well if you ever need someone to talk to or a place to stay you can always come to me. That much hasn’t changed.” He said with a small smile. “Come here.” He said pulling me into a hug. “Do you need a ride home?”

“No I have one, but then again I can’t seem to find him.” I wasn’t lying, I couldn’t lie to Matt he always knew. I did have a ride home and I couldn’t find him, but I was thinking of Derek and he was thinking of Stiles.

He let out a small laugh. “I thought I saw Stiles talking to Lydia in the car park earlier so I wouldn’t keep your hopes up on him still being here… are they dating or something because he took her to winter formal.”

“Not that I’m aware of.”

“I suppose you would know.”

“I would hope so.”

“So how about that ride?”

“Stiles!” I heard Derek yell.

“Did you hear that?”

“Hear what?” of course Matt couldn’t hear it, he’s human.

“Oh nothing. I would love a ride, but I’m just going to go to the bathroom. Can I meet you in the car park?”

“Sure, I’ll see you out there soon.”

“Great.” I said with a smile then walked to the bathroom. Again not a lie, I was going to the bathroom, but I just didn’t have to go. Once I heard Matt’s heart beat fade I ran out back into the corridor and into the swimming pool.

I couldn’t believe what I saw. Erica was lying unconscious at the side of the pool, Stiles was treading water while holding Derek up so he wouldn’t drown and then there was this thing. It had snake like eyes with a yellow tinge, scales, a tail, and long claws.

“What the hell.”

“Anna, run!” Stiles yelled.

But I didn’t listen, or I didn’t have time. Whatever the hell it was ran at me and like Derek had done many times in training it slammed me into a wall with its hands/claws around my throat. Looking into its eyes I could tell it knew me. Whoever it was knew who I was, but that didn’t stop it from throwing me across the room. I felt a blinding pain radiate down the back of my neck and then… nothing.