Chapter 2 - Something Was Missing

After about half an hour I noticed someone knock on Stiles’ door. It was Danny the goalie for the Lacrosse team. He was also Stiles’ lab partner so I guessed they were just doing lab work. After another half an hour I was about to give up when Stiles and Danny came outside, but they weren’t alone. There was another man with them and t definitely wasn’t Scott. He was tall, had dark hair and was wearing a black leather jacket. I couldn’t see his face though, but it definitely wasn’t anyone I knew. At least I didn’t think. There was something similar about him, like I had seen him before in the street or a coffee place, something like that. Danny drove off in his car and Stiles and the man got into Stiles’ jeep and drove off in the opposite direction. I followed them to the hospital. Stiles got out of his car and went into the hospital leaving the other man in his jeep. After about ten minutes the man quickly got out of the jeep and bolted into the hospital. Not thinking, I followed… as always.

I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. The man was fighting another man and Stiles was crawling around on the floor.

“Anna, what are you doing here?” Stiles whispered and I was immediately snapped out of my haze.

“What’s going on?” I asked, really confused, shocked and slightly nervous.

“Get down,” Stiles said, grabbing my arm and pulling me to the floor. I immediately flinched at the pain in my arm. The cuts must have been deeper then I originally thought. Stiles, fortunately, didn’t notice my reaction, but unfortunately this meant that he continued to grip my arm which I was pretty sure was starting to bleed again.

“Stiles what is going on?” I asked, getting a little annoyed and trying not to focus on the pain in my arm, not that that was my biggest concern at that particular moment.

“It’s complicated and now is not the time to fill you in. We have to get out of here.” Stiles said, gripping my arm tighter and pulling me down the corridor and out of the hospital. It hurt, but I saw the fear in Stiles’ eyes and at that point I just wanted to get out of there. Stiles dragged me into his jeep and sped off down the road.

“Okay Stiles, we got out, now tell me what the hell was going on back there!”

“It’s complicated.”

“Yeah, you said that already. Who was that guy you were with?”

“His name’s Derek Hale.”

What? “You mean the alleged killer your dad is looking for as we speak?”

“That would be him and the guy he was fighting is his uncle. Derek didn’t kill those people – his uncle did, including Derek’s sister, that’s why he was fighting him.”

“Okay and what do you have to do with this?” I asked still a little confused.

“I was helping him.”

“Yeah, I can see that, but aren’t you and Scott the ones who told your dad that it was Derek in the school and that he was the murderer?”

“Umm It’s…”

“Complicated I know, but I’m sure I can handle it.” I snapped.

“Look I want to tell you, I really do but I… is that blood?”

“What?” I asked a little nervous.

“On your jacket. Lift up your sleeve.” Stiles said whilst pulling over on the side of the road.

“Oh its nothing.” I said covering up the blood with my hand.

“That doesn’t look like nothing.” Stiles said whilst taking my hand away and pulling up my sleeve revealing my dodgy bandaging job, which was now crimson. “What happened?” Stiles asked while unravelling the bandage.

“It was an accident.”

“It was your mum wasn’t it.” He asked, but already knew the answer.

“You know what she is like once she gets a couple of drinks in her. It changes her.”

“Okay, you are staying at my place tonight whether you like it or not.” He said and started up the engine and drove towards his house. We walked up to his room without saying anything.

“So you know where everything is. I have to go and fill Scott in on what happened and somehow come up with a really good reason as to why I wasn’t there for the game. I won’t be long so make yourself at home. Okay? And there are clean bandages in the cupboard above the sink,” Stiles said handing me a couple of pillows and a blanket.

“Alright, see you soon.”

When Stiles got back he didn’t really say much about what happened, but that was okay, I had a feeling I didn’t really need or should know, at least not this minute. So instead we spent the night catching up, but I still felt alone. I couldn’t describe the feeling. I spent all night talking to Stiles, my best friend, telling him everything that had happened the last couple of months and I felt like something was missing.