Chapter 56 - All That I Am

After our little gathering Derek drove me home. The car was dead silent. I had no idea what to say or even if I should say anything. After what felt like eternity we finally pulled up outside my house. Thankfully my dad had actually slept at the office last night and stayed there when he woke up so he didn’t realise I was gone all night and it also gave me time to throw out my ripped, bloody clothes. The murders may have been solved and Matt’s death ruled as an accident, but there was still a lot of paper work that he was helping the sheriff with. Derek helped me up the stairs to my bedroom after a small argument and me protesting that I was fine, but of course the alpha won.

Once I collapsed down onto my bed Derek started walking towards the door, but then stopped and turned. “Okay, I know I should have told you, but I didn’t know how to.” He blurted out.

“If you’re referring to the alpha pack I’m glad you didn’t tell me until after the Kanima was dealt with.” I said into my pillow, which felt like heaven.

“Not the alpha pack… what Gerard said.” I slowly lifted my head up to look at Derek who slowly made his way to the edge of my bed and sat down. “I didn’t want to say anything because I knew you liked Stiles.”

“I don’t.” I said, surprising myself. I had finally come to the realisation that Stiles was just one of my best friends. “I did, but not anymore.” I said after Derek looked at me with confusion and then continued.

“And Matt? Well let’s just say I didn’t like the guy even before we found out he was the one controlling Jackson. I didn’t want you going into the rave because I knew he would be there and I could tell he still liked you, also because whenever the hunters or the Kanima were around I wanted you next to me so I knew you were safe. That’s also why I wanted you to stay in hiding with Peter tonight.” Derek seemed adamant not to make any eye contact with me and he was speaking fast which is something he never does. My heart was racing and I knew he herd because of the slight tug of a smile playing on his lips. “When Isaac asked me the other night what my anchor was, I lied. It was anger up until the day after you managed to figure me out, it changed then to you and you were right, I do keep my guards up around everyone and don’t let anyone in, but you managed to break through. So I have one question for you. What is your anchor?” he asked and for the first time in his speech he looked at me.

I smiled and leaned in and kissed him. When I pulled back I said, “Is that a good enough answer for you?”

He smiled back. “Perfect.” He pulled me back into another kiss and for that brief moment in time everything was perfect.

All thoughts of my mum’s crash, of Matt betraying me, the Kanima, the alpha pack and all the other crap that had gone on in the past year vanished. It was just me and Derek and nothing seemed wrong.

BOOK 2 IS POSTED AND COMPLETED!!!!!!!!!!!