Chapter 55 - They're Already Here

I don’t know how long I was out, but I woke up in the back of Chris’ SUV.

“Is she going to be okay?” I heard Scott ask.

“She’ll be weak for a while, but yes she should be fine.” Chris answered. “We usually don’t use these bullets unless it’s a full moon. As soon as it leaves the barrel it shatters into dozens of pieces – similar to buckshot, each piece containing wolfs-bane. It goes straight into the blood stream. The longest anyone has lived after is an hour. It can only be cured by Mountain Ash. Makes the wolf bleed out, but if there is only a little applied the blood is easily replaced with fresh, clean blood.”

“Thank-you.” Derek said to the hunter.

Chris was standing next to me with Derek while everyone else was a few metres back. Everyone included Scott, Stiles, Isaac, Allison, Peter, Lydia… and Jackson. I started to sit up and was immediately helped by Derek. Chris stepped back until he was standing next to his daughter. I looked at Jackson and back at Derek.

“He’s a beta and Gerard is missing.” Derek said, but didn’t look me in the eye. He helped me stand up and take a few steps.

“Missing? He was dead.” I said looking over my shoulder at where the black blood was puddled on the floor, but no Gerard in sight.

“Not quite.” Derek’s voice was low, I could only just hear it.

“Allison, we should go.” Chris said, nudging her towards the SUV. Allison looked at everyone in a way that said she was sorry then drove off with her father.

We all stood there in silence for a while before Stiles finally spoke. “Does anyone mind telling me how he’s still alive?” Stiles said pointing at Peter.

“Not still, Stiles, again.” Peter said with a smile, “I do believe I have Lydia and my nephew to thank for that.”

I looked at Derek who guiltily looked down. I had a feeling he’d known about this for a while. “Do explain.” I said to Peter.

“Well the full moon,” as soon as the words full moon, as in three days ago, left Peter’s mouth I lightly hit Derek on the shoulder which he just rolled his eyes at, “on Wednesday had regenerative powers and because I bit Lydia we had a connection. With her help I got Derek to help.” He continued.

“Unwillingly.” Derek added.

“Yes… well. That’s all you need to know. It gets pretty complicated.” Peter finished then motioned for us to leave as it was already 4am. With I few final goodbyes Derek, Peter, Isaac and I left leaving Scott and Stiles to deal with the un-dead Jackson.

The car ride back to Derek’s house was pretty silent. I was sitting in the back with Isaac, who was asleep, looking out the window. Gerard’s words kept coming back to me ‘Love is weakness, Derek. I learnt that, and now, so have you… oh she doesn’t know. Well… better late than never.’ I had spent the past month thinking that all I was to Derek was a beta in his pack. I had pushed back any emotions I had had towards him unintentionally and never realised they were there until the full moon. What was I meant to do now? Come clean or wait for Derek to bring it up? I doubted he would though. He may have been the big bad alpha that could handle just about anything, but when it came to emotions he was pretty damn good at hiding or avoiding them.

We pulled up outside Derek’s old burnt down mansion. The sudden change from 80km an hour to 0km an hour woke Isaac up and made me almost hit my head on the back of Peter’s seat.

“Remind me to give you a few lessons on how to use the brake properly; your driving hasn’t changed since you were 10.” Peter said after Derek turned the engine off. Not bothering to answer him Derek got out of the car. “Neither has your conversational skills.” Peter added.

Once we were all out of the car Isaac and I started heading inside, but once we reached the porch we noticed something. There was a marking done in paint on the front door to the house. It was similar to the triskelion or the same thing just drawn differently. Instead of smooth edges it was sharp and square like.

“You haven’t told them everything yet have you.” Peter said from behind us.

“What do you mean?” Isaac asked.

“Why do you think Derek was in such a hurry to build his pack? So eager to strengthen his power and his numbers. When there’s a new alpha people take notice.” Peter explained.

“People like who?” Isaac asked.

“I’m guessing not hunters.” I added.

“What is this? What does this mean?” Isaac asked taking a few steps closer to the door.

“It’s their symbol and it means there coming.” Derek said.

“Who?”

“Alphas.” Derek said.

“Umm, I’m sorry… plural?” I asked.

“Like more than one?” Isaac added.

“I pack of them.” Derek said, looking between Isaac and me.

“An alpha pack and there’re not coming, there’re already here.” Peter said.

I traced my fingers along the lines of their backwards spiral. It was eerie and kind of reminded me of Hitler which was no comfort.