Chapter 17 - The First Kill

I was sitting with Derek in the train. He was going over his plan for the full moon tomorrow night. I had actually managed to convince my mum that I was sick and stayed home all week, so Scott and Stiles had no idea what I was. I knew this was just going to make them even angrier when they found out, but even though Derek said that I didn’t have to keep it from them as they would find out about Isaac soon, I just wasn’t ready. And as petty as it was I was still mad at them from keeping werewolves from me for over two months. I knew it was to protect me, but we used to be inseparable and told each other everything.

“Derek!” Isaac’s voice snapped me out of my haze. “Derek!” I could hear the panic in his voice and hear his heart beat pounding. Within seconds Isaac came running through the train door.

“What’s wrong?” Derek was standing in the corner leaning against the wall. All that was visible were two luminous red circles where his green eyes usually were.

“My dad… I think he’s dead.”

What Isaac said caused Derek to move out of the shadows and into the light. “What did you do?” Derek’s voice was firm and demanding.

“That’s the thing.” Isaac said, looking at the ground then raising his head to look at Derek. “It wasn’t me.”

“Then what was it?” I asked slightly confused. I knew Isaac wasn’t lying, his heart beat never faltered, but what could have killed his dad?

Isaac looked at me. “I don’t know, I didn’t see anything. We were at home eating dinner when he lost his temper over my grades. I ran out of the house and rode off on my bike. I stopped in this ally way, dropped my bike and went for a walk. Then I heard my dad. He was calling my name and telling me to grab my bike and come home. I ignored him, but then I heard him yell and what sounded like metal bending. I ran back and found him lying dead in his car.”

“Metal bending?” Derek asked.

“Yes. That car door had been ripped off.” Derek’s eyes flicked towards me, but mine were glued on Isaac.

“You need to go home. Anna can drive you. Don’t say anything. Don’t call the police. Let them find it otherwise you’ll be suspected.”

“Won’t he be a suspect anyway?”

“Not if there is no motivation. If they ask tell them that your dad said he would be coming home late so you didn’t think anything of it when he didn’t come home before you went to bed.”

“Alright.” Isaac looked at me and I led him out of the station and to my car.

I opened the boot. “Here. You can put your bike in the back.”

“Thank-you,” He said loading his bike into the back of my car. I got in and started the ignition. The whole ride was silent until I pulled up in front of his house.

“I’m sorry.” I finally said.

“I don’t know what to feel.” He said turning to look at me.

“He may not have been the best parent, but he was your dad. It’s okay to feel upset. You can even cry.”

That earned me a smile. “How do you do that?”

“Do what?”

“Even when someone is in the worst mood you can cheer them up or make them feel better.”

“I can?”

“Yeah, there was this one time when you gave me a ride to school, you didn’t know, but I had spent the night in the freezer. I don’t know how, but the ride to school put me in a much better mood. It was probably the one thing that stopped me from having a break down in the middle of Chemistry.”

“Really? I had no idea.”

“That’s probably how you do it – without trying. When people purposely try and make you feel better it never works, not for me anyway. I think the best thing is to just to do something normal.”

I returned Isaac’s smile. “So do I. You know, I have a spare room if you don’t want to stay here tonight. Mum won’t be home from until 1am and then will sleep in in the morning. She won’t even know you’re there.”

“That would be great, if it’s not too much trouble.”

“No trouble at all.”

“Okay well I’ll just get my stuff for school tomorrow and I’ll come over.”

“Great. See you soon.”

Once Isaac got out of my car I pulled out of his driveway and drove up a couple of houses and pulled into my house on the opposite side of the street.