Chapter 42 - Chit Chat

Erica and Isaac went to school after that leaving me alone in the station with Derek, who was not in a good mood.

“So… what’s on the schedule for today boss?”

“You don’t have to be training every day you know.”

“I know. I should be at school, but someone insisted that I take the week off, even though it’s the last week before summer vacation. I’m starting to think you don’t want me near Stiles.”

“Just Stiles?” he asked me with a strange look.

“Yeah. If you want me to get any information you usually send me to Scott, but not Stiles and you wanted Erica or Isaac to get close to them not me.”

“I said one of you, I wasn’t being specific.”

“Yes you were. You looked at both Isaac and Erica and probably Boyd if he was in the room. All I did was answer Isaac’s question as to why it couldn’t be me even though I have more of a chance.”

“Then why did you say it?”

“You’re the alpha remember. I have to believe you know what you’re doing. However, you are currently slowly veering off the subject.”

“If you want to get information from Scott then go ahead. He’s your best friend.”

“So is Stiles.”

“No.” Derek looking at me for a bit then continued. “Stiles isn’t your best friend he’s the guy you’ve been in love with for years. If you were to talk to him he may persuade you not to tell me. He has a greater chance of that than Scott does.” Derek looked down at the ground with that one expression I could never read from him than slowly got up. “However, I do have a task for you.” His expression changed to a more serious one. “I need you to get two tickets to the underground rave this Friday.”

I was still confused about what he’d just said, but something told me I’d gotten all the information I was going to get on that subject. I had no idea how he knew about my secret Stiles crush. I had never told anyone – not even Scott and I thought I did a bloody good job at hiding it. “Umm sure, I think Matt might be able to get some tickets, but no promises.”

“Great.” He said and then stared at me like I should move straight away.

“Well I can’t get them now he’s at school.”

“You could send him a text.”

“He would currently be in class and his phone is never on silent, he would get in trouble.”

“Well that’s two.” Derek muttered under his breath

“Two what? What are you talking about? And you do realise I am a werewolf… I can hear you.” I said using a few hand gestures.

“Tell me, why did you break up with him if you still liked him? Was it because you liked Stiles more or what?”

“How do you know all of this? I’ve never told anyone about Stiles and no one has ever found out and I didn’t know you a year ago so how do you know that I dated Matt and that I was the one who broke up with him?”

“I’ve been a werewolf longer than any of you, I was born one. I know how to use my senses and word gets around. Plus you told me you dated him at the café.”

“Oh… well things don’t get around that much. The only people who know that I broke up with Matt and not the other way around are Matt, Scott and Stiles all of whom know why and it has nothing to do with Stiles!”

“I figured it out.”

“How?”

“Because of the way he looks and talks to you. If you hadn’t you would still be together.” And with that Derek got up and walked away. Ending conversations abruptly was apparently a passion of his. Another passion was leaving me with unanswered questions and a headache trying to figure that man out.