Chapter 36 - Through The Dark

I backed up until my back hit the wall behind me. My legs gave way beneath me and I slowly sank to the ground. Bringing my knees to my chest and tucking my head between my legs, I cried. The past hour was a blur. I closed my eyes and thought back to when the sheriff showed up.

***

“Anna, there has been an accident. Your mum was in a car crash. There were signs of intoxication.” He said in short concise sentences.

“What? Is she okay?”

“I’m sorry Anna, but she didn’t make it.”

***

The words kept on going around and around in my head ‘she didn’t make it.’

The sound of the front door closing snapped me out of my own thoughts. Slowly I stood up. I had to grab the wall I was shaking so much. Walking out of the arch from the living room I saw Derek standing in front of the door. He could tell I had been crying and by the look on his face he knew exactly what had happened. I did the first thing that came to mind. I ran into his arms and started crying again. It took about 3 seconds, but he eventually wrapped his arms around me. I was shaking like crazy so he led me to the couch and got me to lie down. He left the room for no more than a minute and came back with a glass of water.

“Here, drink this.”

I took the glass and took a small sip, but then just turned the glass around in my hand. Time was going so slowly. Seconds seemed like minutes and minutes seemed like hours until I finally drifted off to sleep.

I woke the next morning to find myself in my room under the covers. I walked down stairs to find Derek asleep on the couch with the TV on mute. Realising it hadn’t been a dream I pushed back more tears refusing to cry again.

Derek woke up, “How are you feeling?” he asked.

“I’m fine.”

“I know that fine, I’ve said that fine and it’s a lie.”

“Better then breaking down. Are you ready?”

“For what?” he asked a little hesitant.

“You organised training today, remember?”

“Ah yeah. You don’t have to go if you don’t want to.”

“I want to.” Was all I said.

“Alright, but first you’re eating.”

Within 15 minutes I had eaten breakfast and was in my car, with Derek driving because he refused to give me the keys, and on our way to the station. When we got there apparently Derek had sent everyone else a warning text because no-one said anything, except Erica ran up to me and gave me a HUGE hug.

“Okay, Boyd and Erica your up.”

“Boyd is twice my size.” Erica said, which got no reply from Derek, but a grin from Boyd.

I sat down leaning against a pole and within a few seconds I was joined by Isaac. He didn’t say anything, he didn’t have too. He knew exactly how I felt and knew that the best thing was support without words so he just put his arm around me. The next five minutes were filled with Erica dodging Boyd’s half-hearted attempts to throw her across the room.

“Okay, enough! Erica try doing something and Boyd don’t hold back.” Another 2 minutes and nothing changed. “Stop! Isaac and Anna let’s see if you can do a better job.”

Isaac and I looked at each other stood up and walked over to where Erica and Boyd were fighting as they went to where we were sitting. Isaac made the first move, but before he could knock me down I jumped on the side of the train and did a flip so I was now standing behind him. Before he had the chance to spin around I kicked him against the train causing I loud bang and creating a dint in the side. Isaac crumbled to the ground.

“Good. Very good. Okay, now we have to figure out how to get Jackson here.” Derek said, changing the subject and getting to the real reason why he wanted us here today.

“Jackson?” asked Boyd.

“Yes. Last night I got some of the venom that left me paralysed from the glass that the Kanima broke.”

“Hold up. Kanima?” I asked.

“Yes, that’s what it’s called. It’s like a werewolf, but something went wrong in its transformation and whoever it is has become an abomination.”

“So you think its Jackson?” asked Isaac.

“Or Lydia. Neither are showing any signs of being a werewolf or rejecting the bite so they’re our only options. Erica, follow Jackson and let us know when he’s alone.”

“Sure.” She said, but didn’t move.

“Preferably now.” Derek said looking at her.

“Right.” she said and bolted up the stairs.

“Okay so what does the venom have to do with it?” I asked.

“If he is the Kanima he shouldn’t be affected by the venom.”

“So you’re going to force it down his throat?” asked Boyd.

"Yes.”