Chapter 12 - Isaac

It was a loud screeching sound followed by a smash which sounded like glass breaking.

Derek and I exchanged glances, than he took off. He was fast, really fast. I only just managed to keep up with him, but it wasn’t long before we reached the grave yard.

I didn’t really know what to think about what I saw. The bobcat Isaac used to dig graves was tipped over, covering a newly dug grave, which I assumed was Kate Argent’s. But five metres away from the bobcat was another grave, an older one. And it was being dug up. There was something, someone, on their hands and knees digging into the ground. Before I had time to process what was happening Derek took off and threw the man, who I now saw as a beta, across the grave yard. The next thing I heard was a loud, intimidating roar coming from Derek. The beta shifted back into human form and took off towards the woods.

Derek made his way over to the bobcat and picked it up. He made it look so easy, like lifting a huge piece of machinery was no big deal. Then he walked to the edge of the grave and with a devil may care voice said, “Need a hand?”

I saw Isaac stand up from the whole in the ground and Derek grabbed his hand and pulled him out.

“Thank-you,” Isaac’s voice was a little shaky, but when he saw me I could feel his heart rate slow down. I guess he was happy to see someone he knew.

“Anna, what are you doing here?”

“She’s with me.” Derek said before I had the chance to answer. “And you could be too.” I saw the confusion in his face. “Do you want a fresh start, Isaac? A better life, one where you can stand up to your father?” His heart beat started to race again, but this time there was something in his eyes – longing.

“How?” Isaac didn’t bother asking how Derek knew about his father, he probably assumed I had told him, which I did.

Derek’s eyes suddenly changed colour. They were that magnificent red again. Isaac’s eyes were wide with both fear and excitement.

“What are you?” his said in a voice as though he was trying not to show his fear.

“I’m a werewolf, an alpha, and Anna…” Derek said turning towards me, “is a beta. A beta is what you would become if I were to bite you. You would be stronger, faster and fitter and you would have supernatural healing abilities.” His voice never faltered, it was as though he were reading from a script.

“What’s the price?”

“You would have to become part of my pack, which isn’t much of a price, a pack makes the individual physically stronger. There are also hunters who are after us, but if you stay with me we can defeat them. All you have to do is say yes.”

Isaac was processing everything that was happening. It was a huge heap to take in in less than 3 minutes.

“I understand, you need time to think, but when you’ve decided go to Anna and she’ll take you to me.” Isaac’s gaze was peeled off Derek and onto me. I gave him a small smile.

“Let’s go.” Derek said walking past me and blending into the blackness. I followed.