0 8 * prophecies and howls

"BUT, SIR? IF the prophecy has already been made... if it says Harry shall be the one to kill Lord Voldemort, can we change it? Is there even hope?" Bonnie asked with a crestfallen expression. She had her notebook out, writing things Dumbledore had been saying to her. When the prophecy was brought up again, Bonnie couldn't help but experience the same defeated feeling that lingered every time she sat down to decipher the whereabouts of a Horcrux.

Dumbledore glanced at her. He knew she had lived thirty-seven years of her life and now was thrown back twenty-two, but as he stared at the fifteen-year-old body, he felt awful for her. She had already lived through both Wizarding Wars, and she was given a task so difficult to complete on her own.

"Yes, Miss Miller. There is always hope. Prophecies are a very strange branch of magic. Most prophecies aren't even valid because they are made by illegitimate seers. Now, when I heard this prophecy, it was made but not set in the stars. Have you ever met a centaur?" Dumbledore asked, fixing his half-moon glasses on his nose to look at her properly.

Bonnie only shook her head. She had never properly met a centaur. "I know what they look like, and I've studied them before. No, I haven't met one personally."

"Hmm," Dumbledore hummed. "There is one centaur I trust with my life in the Forbidden Forest. One meeting shall be there... well, centaurs are very good at setting the future based on the stars. They are true seers, but no one takes them seriously because they—"

"—are half-breeds," Bonnie mumbled with a sad expression as she thought about Remus. "So, the prophecy of Harry Potter is not set in the stars?"

Dumbledore smiled at the wise witch in front of him. "No, the prophecy is not set in the stars, for Lily and James loathe each other right now. If they somehow do not end up together, the prophecy could change to... who was the other boy?"

"Neville Longbottom," Bonnie answered.

"Right... or, and we hope for this, we can end him before things escalate. We can end him before the deaths of those close to you," he reaffirmed. Dumbledore had lost a lot of people in his very long life, including his own sister, but to lose so much so quickly was devastating. He couldn't watch Bonnie go through that again. "Now, off to bed. We'll meet on Friday. Okay?"

"Sure, sir. I have one more question," Bonnie said as she opened her notebook to the page with the ring. "Where do you think the ring is?"

"Marvolo Gaunt's old home, of course. We'll go there once we have a better gameplan, Miss Miller. Please do not overwork yourself... Mr. Lupin had a pleasant talk with me the other day," Dumbledore said with a knowing gleam in his eye.

Bonnie grinned slightly. "What did he say?"

"That I shouldn't allow you to leave our chats so worked up. You didn't tell me you had anxiety, Miss Miller," Dumbledore replied, tutting afterward with his tongue. "Mr. Lupin was very strict with his orders, so don't overthink as you leave."

"Yes, Professor. G'night," Bonnie said, laughing slightly at his amused expression.

Before she could get up, he cleared his throat once more. "Oh, Miss Miller? I know you desperately want to tell someone of what's going on. I've decided soon we'll begin to need help, but not just yet."

Bonnie could only nod as she relished in the thought of telling someone what she was going through. She could only hope he or she didn't think she was mad. Once she was packed up, she left the Headmaster's office quickly knowing it was far after curfew. Dumbledore had given her a note to use if she ever came across Filch or a teacher, but she really just wanted to get to her bed.