4 7 * the chamber of secrets and the snake

JAMES AND REMUS did not find Professor Dumbledore in his office. James cried out in disbelief that the old wizard was still gone, but Remus shook his head, trying to be sensible.

"If they are in the Chamber, we can't leave them there with the snake. We have to go," Remus said firmly. He looked around, seeing Fawkes. "We'll take Fawkes. Phoenix's have incredible healing powers," he said knowingly since something would definitely be wrong when they got there. "James—James, put that down—"

James grinned as he opened the glass casing around a giant sword. He pouted at Remus's words. "You don't think we'll need it?"

Remus sighed, knowing time was wasting. "James, that is an artifact. We can't use it to slay a snake. Come on, we're running out of time."

James sighed and left the sword alone. As the two ran from Dumbledore's office with Fawkes flying next to them, the sword disappeared.

Sirius woke up hearing rustling. Opening one eye, he saw James waking Remus up, mumbling something that had the wolf jumping up quickly. Sirius gulped, staying to himself as the pair left the dormitory. He sat up after, running a hand through his messy hair, eyes looking around the room. He noticed the map on the ground, so he picked up. The ink was there, so Sirius knew James had just used it. His eyes seemed to widen when he saw Remus and James going into the girls' dorm, but that wasn't what made his eyes widen. It was Lily and Bonnie gone.

Searching the whole map, he gave up when he didn't see either female. He put his shoes on, grabbed his wand, and left for Bonnie's dorm once the pair had left.

Walking in it, he noticed Lily and Bonnie's things were ruffled around. Narrowing his eyes, he saw Bonnie's notebook opened.

He was fed up with the secrets, so Sirius grabbed the journal and read the page it was opened to.

His throat became dry when he saw the Chamber of Secrets had an opening in Myrtle's bathroom. He read about the Basilisk. Turning the page, he saw Bonnie's most recent entry.

May twenty-ninth nineteen seventy-seven,

Sirius is asking more questions than normal. He noticed Lily acting strange, and I hate to say I've noticed it, too. In our past life, Sirius and I always argued about who was right and wrong, but I'll never admit he was right most of the time... he would never let me live it down.

Lily's been holding onto the Horcrux for me, which I'm beginning to believe that it the cause of her mood. Horcruxes bring out the worst in you, says Dumbledore. I'll have to get it from her when she returns to the dorm. A few days of pain would be worth making her feel better.

The Basilisk needs to be slain soon. We can't destroy any of these Horcruxes until it is done. I'm hoping James and Remus don't try to come after me if I decide to do it on my own. Maybe Lily will be sensible, as she normally is, and get help. Maybe then, Dumbledore will actually listen. I understand he is searching for Horcruxes, but this is so important.

Lily just walked in, and she seems off... I'll just—

Sirius shook his head at the entry never finishing. Bonnie wouldn't go after the beast, would she? All of this information was making his head spin. Past life? Horcruxes? James, Remus, and Lily knew? Lily acting odd?

Gulping again, Sirius looked to the map to see James and Remus leaving Dumbledore's office, heading straight for Myrtle's bathroom.

He didn't care if his friends hated him right now. He would die before allowing them to risk their lives.

Without having a cloak to hide his body, he hid in the shadows and different portrait holes when he heard footsteps around him. He left the map in the dorm, so he never knew who was there.