0 9 * dittany plants and letters from home

LILY WATCHED JAMES from afar with a disgusted look etched on her face as they sat in Herbology. Professor Sprout had instructed everyone to quiet down, but James and Peter were whispering lyrics to a song, going back and forth every time it was anywhere near quiet. Sirius would add in the background beats, hitting the table quite loudly. Every so often, he would point to Remus. The wolf would only tap his hand once when pointed to in a bored manner. This action had Marlene and Bonnie giggling terribly. Lily and Professor Sprout were not amused.

The Gryffindors shared this lesson with Hufflepuffs. Jules Abbott glared at the boys every time they would interrupt Sprout, being Prefect and all. She would glare and Remus the most, hating that he, as a Prefect, was also partaking in the stupidity. By the end of the song, James and Peter were given a standing ovation while Professor Sprout shouted, "Ten points from Gryffindor!" Jules grinned as if she won the lottery, and Lily had made the same face.

"Now, that your show is done, Mr. Pettigrew, Mr. Potter, may I continue with my lesson?" Professor Sprout yelled out, her plump face turning redder when James gave her a shit-eating grin.

"Of course, Professor!" Peter said with his own small smirk causing Marlene to snort at his seemingly innocent face.

With another huff, Professor Sprout began her lesson.

"Dittany is the plant we're dealing with today. We are moving on from the revision of Mandrakes, so do pay attention. Dittany is always a giant portion of your O.W.L. exam," she started. Bonnie grinned, remembering the long essay on Dittany they would have to write. "Now, Dittany, or as some call it, the Burning Bush, is a non-sentient plant. It is a dark green color... Yes, Mr. Black, it's the plant sitting right in front of you. Amazing, isn't it?" Sirius only shrugged as he tapped it. A bit of smoke hissed out causing him to yelp. "Aha! Yes, Dittany can sometimes release a flammable vapour. Be careful, students!"

Bonnie watched as the plant moved a bit on its own in fascination. She knew Dittany well as it was the main ingredient in her cream she had made for Remus before. Knowing she would have to steal a plant, she made an indention in the pot that sat in front of her. This plant would do well. Professor Sprout continued, "Can someone name the three usages for Dittany? Miss Evans?"

Lily flushed a bit before nodding. "Dittany can be used for wand cores, healing magic, and potion brewing. The most common is the plant's healing abilities."

Professor Sprout grinned. "Wonderful! Take those ten points back!" Jules frowned at Lily. "Okay, make sure you're writing this down, Mr. Potter. Miss Fortescue, you as well! I see no quills moving! Come on, students. The plant can be consumed raw, but most create a small liquid from it. Here is an example of Essence of Dittany, a brownish liquid that holds a very powerful healing power. A few drops of this on a bleeding wound will have it looking days old in the healing process. No, Miss Macdonald, we will not try it on ourselves now." Mary frowned and lowered her hand.

"Wonderful, wonderful. The plant grows on a mountain called Dicte in Crete, and it is very rare. The plants you see in front of you were very hard to come about, so do not touch it. I do not aspire to have to give you detention for ruining such a rare plant. Now, there is a certain wound Dittany cannot completely heal, does anyone know?" Jules's hand shot up. "Yes, Miss Abbott?"

"A werewolf bite, Professor. Mixed with silver, Dittany can heal the scarring. Lycanthropy, however, cannot be prevented," she said happily, accepting her ten points to Hufflepuff.

No one but the Marauders and Bonnie noticed how tense Remus suddenly grew. Professor Sprout went into the way to care for the plant if they ever came across one, but Bonnie could only stare at Remus with worried eyes. He had ducked his head, gripping the back of his neck tight enough to make his knuckles white. Bonnie hated how much he hated himself. Before Bonnie could look away, Peter's eyes caught hers. He knew she knew about Remus's condition. There was no doubt as recognition went through his eyes, but Bonnie could only turn away quickly and focus on the lesson.