0 7 * painted faces and pompous muppets

SIRIUS WATCHED BONNIE storm away from them with anger still fresh in his veins but guilt lingered when he saw her defeated eyes. There was something different about her, but he wasn't quite sure. Maybe it was the confident posture she now held compared to when she was always stuck in a book, or maybe it was the way she always seemed to be overthinking... but he knew something was different about her in the last few weeks.

Gripping his leather jacket tighter in his hands, he almost forgot she even had it. The thought made him smirk slightly. She had kept it for so long, and he could vaguely smell the scent of strawberries from his heightened senses. It must be her shampoo.

When he turned back to James and Severus still in a stare-down, he sighed. "Come on, Prongs. Minnie won't be happy with us for being late."

Why had he come over there anyway? It wasn't just to mess with Severus, for he could do that anyday. He supposed it was because he thought she was in trouble, as if Snape wouldn't let her go. A strange feeling erupted in his chest, which is why he went to free her. And for what? To be scolded like a toddler. She would regret that.

At the sound of Sirius's voice, James dropped his wand and quickly turned to follow Sirius to Transfigurations. Peter and Remus were already on their way, so only the pair walked together. Severus disappeared when Sirius turned to look back.

"What was up with Bonnie? He was obviously hurting her," James said, still with slight anger in his tone.

Sirius threw his jacket over his shoulder, the smell of strawberries wafting into his nose. He pulled out a cigarette because he knew they were going to be late anyway, so why not take their time? "She's always been protective of old grease-ball. She and Lily."

James sighed at the thought of Lily. He longed for her to take him seriously with his date proposals, but she hated him. He would keep trying, he thought, because one day she'll say yes. He was sure of it.

"I don't get it," James only mumbled.

"Oh, well," Sirius breathed, letting smoke leave his lips. He bit his lip thinking of the witch again. "Bonnie's changed, hasn't she?"

"More confident. Must be Marlene's doing, I reckon," James said with a smirk. "She always was outgoing."

"I would know," Sirius said with a wink, thinking back to Marlene's many encounters of pulling him in a broom closet. He shook his head to rid of the enticing thoughts. "But no, it's something else. She's kind of fit, isn't she?"

James snorted. "If you think she'll meet you in the broom cupboard--"

"No!" Sirius laughed now alongside his friend. "No, I think she's too prude for that. Well, I don't know. Maybe she's got a fiesty side. You saw how angry she just got at me," he said with a nudge to James. James could only laugh louder at his best mate's words.

James grabbed the cigarette from Sirius's lips and took the final drag before stomping on it. Sirius rolled his eyes when James playfully blew the smoke into his face. "Come on, Paddy. Minnie'll be thrilled to see us."

Sirius waved him off. "I'll flirt a bit. She loves when I call her beautiful."

"More like she loathes it. You're lucky hexing a student is off limits," James said before pushing Sirius to the side. He took off to the classroom, hearing Sirius's loud laughter following.

Bonnie ignored Severus for the following days, along with ignoring the inappropriate jeers from Sirius. It seemed now he was trying to rile her up any chance he got. Lily pointed out this was exactly the reason why the pair should've stayed to themselves, and for once, Bonnie agreed with her. She remembered arguing with Sirius in the past life, but the constant flirting and inappropriate comments made her feel like Lily on the end of James's comments. Bonnie shivered at the thought.