2 4 * dumbledore's memories and the house of gaunt

THE LAST DAY of classes, Bonnie felt immense frustration at herself. Dumbledore wanted to see her since she did not go to him the night she spoke with Regulus. After his statement about wanting to be in Gryffindor, he quickly shot up and excused himself to leave. She heard him cursing himself for saying it. After that, Bonnie felt no need to go to Dumbledore. She just wanted her bed.

The Marauders had been steering clear of Bonnie due to Sirius's anger toward her and James's anger toward Lily. So, Bonnie hanged out mostly with Fabian, Gideon, Mary, Marlene, and Lily as the days toward their summer break drew nearer. Bonnie had noticed Fabian and Gideon spending a lot of time with them because Fabian had a hard time letting Mary out of his sight due to his worries. Mary had told the girls one night that her itty-bitty crush on Bonnie's ex-boyfriend had become a lot deeper after she was rescued. Bonnie smiled, glad to see Mary was feeling better.

So, once classes were over, Bonnie sulked her way to Dumbledore's office. She hadn't wanted to go solely for the reason that they were nowhere near the next Horcrux in her opinion. She was not ready for even more weight to be added to her shoulders.

When she knocked on his door, he quietly told her to come in. When she pushed open the large door, she was surprised to see Dumbledore standing in front of his desk with a smile and twinkle in his eye. Bonnie ignored his suspicious behavior as she placed her bag down on the floor.

"Good evening, Bonnie. How are you feeling?" Dumbledore asked.

"Been better, to be honest, Professor," Bonnie said with a shrug. "And you?"

"Oh, fine, fine. Yes, indeed, we must be going. I have a few places I would like to take you. Is that all right?" he asked. Bonnie didn't know how to answer, so she simply nodded. He walked over to a closed off section of his office, opening it in a very dramatic fashion. "This is called a Pensieve. Are you familiar with what it does?"

"Like a memory pool, isn't it?" Bonnie questioned as he pulled out a large dish. It floated over to his desk and gently floated above with blue and white smoke and liquid inside of it.

Dumbledore nodded with another smile. "When you get as old as I am, you tend to not want to forget important memories. I will show you four memories, is that all right? The first memory will be from Bob Ogden, a Ministry worker who went to the Gaunt house to ask questions pertaining to Morfin. The second memory will be from Morfin himself when Tom became curious of his parentage and went to the Gaunt house. The third will be from a house-elf called Hokey when Tom visited a very lovely lady, Hezibah Smith. The fourth will be my own memory. Are you ready for the first?"

Bonnie was not sure what she was preparing for when she dived into the memory with Dumbledore. It surely was not what she was expecting, of course. Bob Ogden was a ministry investigator sent because Morfin had hexed a Muggle who lived next door because Merope fancied him. Morfin hated Muggles, and he often spoke in parseltongue, which Bonnie understood the language. She watched as Morfin and Marvolo attacked Bob, thus being sent to Azkaban. Bonnie saw how awful Morfin and Marvolo treated Merope, belittling her the way they did. She hated how frail and weak Merope was because of this.

Bonnie watched as the scene changed quickly to Merope leaving the home; she was finally free. What she saw did not bring any peace as she watched Merope bewitch Tom Riddle, the Muggle who Morfin had hexed, into loving her. Sadness crept into Bonnie's mind as she watched Merope fall pregnant, thus letting Tom off of the enchantment in hopes he would stay.

Bonnie felt herself fall out of the memory, staring at Dumbledore as he only watched her. "So Merope was a witch, but her father and brother treated her like vermin? When they were sent away, she went after Tom... together, they had Voldemort because of a love potion?"