1 2 * solemn thoughts and solemn departures

THE NEXT MORNING, Bonnie's first task was to finish packing since she had pushed it off for so long. She hated the idea of going home, but there was nothing she could do yet. Bonnie made a vow to herself, however, as soon as she woke up: she wouldn't allow her family to walk over her. She had been cowardly in her past life. With this second chance, she would do what she should've done and stand up for herself.

There was only a short breakfast for those going home for the holidays, for the train ride was far too long to push off. Marlene and Bonnie walked together to bring their things to the carriages before going to get food. Marlene had noticed the drop in Bonnie's mood since she had received that letter, but the witch refused to tell them what was bothering her. Marlene had even gone to Sirius and Remus in hopes Bonnie had confided in them with their newfound friendship. Both said no, but their curiosity of Bonnie only grew.

"Bon? What're you doing for your birthday?" Marlene asked after they had given a house-elf their trunks.

Bonnie frowned thinking about her birthday. It had always been overshadowed by Christmas and the over-extravagant events that the purebloods held. In the past-life, the Marauders had no idea about her birthday. No one did besides Marlene because she had found out about it accidentally through a letter from her grandfather a few years prior; he died over the summer of her third year of Hogwarts. Grandpa Trión was the only family member that Bonnie felt truly cared about her, and she hated thinking about him too often. It made her terribly upset. Bonnie frowned as these thoughts rushed into her head. She would need to visit him soon.

Bonnie only shrugged at Marlene. "We don't normally celebrate it since it's too close to Christmas." The Millers didn't celebrate Christmas either.

Bonnie's grandfather left her all of his money when he died, though it was in secret because her mother would probably kill her if she found out. Bonnie wasn't kidding when she said so because her mother enjoyed money and shiny objects; she had killed before... Her family was awful, and they didn't deserve her grandfather. He was too kind.

Bonnie knew she'd have to visit Gringotts and shop for her friends for Christmas when her father went to work. It would be risky, but she refused to not buy her friends things. After getting this second chance, she wouldn't miss a moment to make them happy.

"Well, I think you should come by mine. I can invite Lils, Mary, and Alice! It will be so—"

"I can't," Bonnie mumbled, hating to say no. She wanted to scream that she would go and never return home, but she had to prepare. She couldn't just throw herself into someone's care and be a burden. "But thanks, Marls. I love you, really."

"Love you. Are you sure everything's all right?" Marlene asked again as they made it to the Great Hall. Bonnie only nodded as a response.

James flicked Sirius's nose when James had gotten in his face while singing a Queen song. Peter was doing the background vocals while Remus would tap his foot here and there for a beat. All the boys were in a good mood except Sirius, and they knew why.

"I wish you'd stop," Sirius grumbled moodily as he raked through his trunk for his leather jacket. He remembered shoving it in there the night before, right? He knew how much his mother hated it, so he wanted to make sure it was on. "Where the fuck is it?" he screamed out, kicking his trunk in the process.

"Where's what, mate?" Peter asked cautiously, closing his trunk and locking it. All four would go home for the holidays, but they knew at least three of them would see each other before the holiday was over. Sirius would be trapped in Grimmauld Place, but no one knew the extent to which he was treated. They just knew he hated it.

Sirius growled out, "My jacket."

"You gave it to Bonnie, remember?" Remus drawled with a mocking smirk on his lips. "You said how fit she looked in it all night, remember?" The three boys began to laugh hysterically while Sirius only looked thoughtful for a moment. Did he, really? A vague image popped in his head of Bonnie in a pretty and short peach dress. His jacket looked so good on her.