4 8 * defeating the snake and reconciliation

"HOW ARE WE supposed to fight it!?" Remus said, already moving to Bonnie's side to lift her up. "You've no wand, and James is keeping Lily cornered," he said hastily.

Bonnie kept her eyes away from the snake. "I-I don't know!" she cried. "You have to let me go. I'm holding you back—AH!"

The snake had attacked the stone right next to Remus and Bonnie, sending both flying in different directions. Bonnie hissed in pain, noticing Remus taking his wand and blindly shooting a spell at the snake. The snake cried out, backing away only slightly.

It moved toward James next, Remus calling out for the boy. "Keep your eyes closed!"

Lily laughed. "He'll kill you either way, Potter."

James frowned, shooting a spell like Remus, blindly, but he missed. He yelped when he heard the snake getting closer, jumping to the side.

Suddenly, a bird called out causing Remus and James to grin for a second. They saw the bird land on the giant snake, covering his eyes.

"No!" Lily screeched, pushing James out of the way to shoot a spell at the bird. It was too late. As blood ran down its face, the Gryffindors knew the snake was blinded. "You may have blinded it, but it can still hear you!" she snarled, sending her own spell at James, Remus, and Bonnie, alerting the snake where they were.

"What do we do?" James whispered as they watched the snake grow closer.

The snake's bloody eyes made it look more menacing, if possible. James and Remus both grabbed Bonnie's hand as they realized they had no way out. They had no other plan. They could send spells at the beast, but the spells wouldn't kill it. They had to think. They needed a plan. Bonnie felt sick, as if she could pass out any minute. She hated that this would be how her friends died instead. She hated this. She longed for a solution to appear out of thin air.

And... by Merlin's holy balls, a miracle appeared.

"Expelliarmus!" A voice yelled causing the snake to change course. All three heads turned to see Sirius fucking Black standing there looking furious as he disarmed Lily. He looked to Bonnie. "Well, what the hell are you waiting for? An opening act? Get her bloody wand!"

And he took off to the tunnels, the snake following him at a brisk pace. Bonnie ran to Lily's wand the same time Lily did, but a reluctant James shot a spell to make Lily fly backwards. When she hit the ground, the diary fell from her hands a few feet away.

"Get the diary, James!" Bonnie yelled just as she got her hands on Lily's wand. Remus ran after Sirius just as James was able to get his hands on the diary. Lily had made it as well, shoving James off of it.

James growled lowly, "Get off of me, Riddle, before you make me do something Lily'll regret." Lily's eyes flickered again. For a second, she looked pleading. "This isn't how I wanted it to go," he said before grabbing the back of Lily's head and smashing his lips onto hers. It was a brief kiss, and for that second, Lily's eyes flashed her natural, beautiful eyes.

She yelled, "Bonnie! Destroy the diary and he'll be gone!" Bonnie nodded at Lily, knowing she was in there, and James could help keep her on the surface.

Before James could even try and smile at Lily, Lily's eyes flashed black again. He cursed to himself, throwing the diary at Bonnie, the witch catching it easily. Lily growled, throwing James to the ground as she chased after Bonnie.

Both didn't have much time before Sirius and Remus ran like fire was chasing them back into the main room. Sirius ran to Bonnie, pushing her behind him as he growled out, "You have a lot of explaining to do, Bonnie!"