#70: Confession of Love

"...today's top story."

It was two weeks since Kakusei knocked Zeon unconscious. During this time, Zeon was at the hospital, lying in bed surrounded by gifts, cards and flowers from his family and friends.

"A Seigatsu Academy student has been arrested after being charged with assault and battery against another student. The event occurred two weeks ago on the school rooftop. As both students are minors, we are not allowed to disclose their names, but the police discovered that the student who attacked had a history of violent behaviour in schools he previously attended."

As winter left, spring replaced it, melting away the old snow with warm sunlight. Inside Zeon's hospital room, the gentle breeze fluttered through the window as the morning sun shone on him. He weakly opened his eyes, tuning into the news report on the TV that hung opposite his bed.

"Rukia..." He whispered, staring at the ceiling with dead eyes.

Despite the long passage of time since the incident, his face was still badly deformed. The swelling and bruises made it difficult to even look at him.

"...I'm right here, Zeon."

A warm feeling enveloped his heart. He rolled his eyes to the side, looking at the crying Rukia that sat beside him. Zeon reached out to grab her sleeve, but instead she took his hand.

"...is that really you?" He said with a hoarse voice. Rukia nodded.

"You're okay now. No one's going to hurt you anymore."

Zeon tried to respond, but couldn't. Paralysed by words he thought he'd never hear, coupled with the sight of Rukia by his bedside crushed his soul. He closed his eyes to try and stop it, but the tears came out anyways. It was physically painful to cry from swollen eyes, but it was emotionally relieving to let it all out.

Every last drop that was bottled up since that day.

"Don't leave me..." Zeon choked, holding onto Rukia's hand. "I don't want to go back... I never want to go back..."

"You're not alone anymore, Zeon. You have friends... so many friends that were worried for you, that wanted you to be safe, that wanted you to live. And me too... I want you to live, Zeon! Please, live! I don't want you to die!"

His heart crumbled. The walls were being torn down. It was certain he was alive, yet the words he heard sounded heavenly.

Deep inside, he could see Rose, his sister, smile at him.

"I was here this entire time, Zeon. You've been carrying me in your heart. We were never separated after I gone."

He could hear her gentle voice echo in his drowning head.

"From now on, don't live for someone else. Live for yourself. Be honest with yourself. Is it worth dying?"

Zeon hugged his sister.

"I understand now, Rose... that maybe life was worth living. I don't have to throw it all away. Even if you're not here, I'll have them. Everyone who cares about me."

"That's right. You've finally realised that you're not alone anymore. I'm happy, Zeon."

(Opening here)