#40: Zero

The poor weather affected all of Tokyo. The grey clouds casted a dark shadow over a white supermarket, with grey accents, that was soaked in the heavy storm. As the rain ran down its slanted roof and onto the concrete floor creating puddles, the inside of the shop was relatively peaceful and more warm in conjunction to it's cold counterpart outside.

Walking down the soup aisle was Mai, carrying a metal wire shopping basket on her forearm. Inside was a variety of food items, from fresh vegetables and fruits, to raw meat, and sweet treats like biscuits and cakes. Looking up at the upper shelf, she went on her tip-toes to get the creamy chicken soup at the top.

"Aren't you a bit short to reach that?" Walking over to the struggling Mai, Izanoku snickered inaudibly as she pushed a shopping cart with a scarcity of items. All that was inside was some bread and chicken drumsticks. Mai glanced at her and continued trying to reach for the tin of soup. "Well, I was going to buy as many chicken soups as I could so I guess I don't mind helping you out." Izanoku parked her cart and took a handful of cans off the shelf. She presented one to Mai, who took it and nodded.

"Thank you." Mai said, looking at it. "Half price, huh..."

"Yep..." Izanoku said, dumping the cans into her cart. "I should probably get some veggie soup for Zak..."

"Well, isn't this a rare sight to see?" Masaru said, walking into the aisle with his own basket of items. Upon seeing Izanoku and Mai together, he began to laugh.

"What...?! What are you doing here! In the soup aisle no less!" Izanoku exclaimed.

"You two know each other?" Mai asked.

"Yeah, I suppose you could say that." Masaru scratched his cheek. "As for your question... what are you also doing here in the soup aisle?"

"I'm buying as much soup as I can to have food to eat for the month. It's on sale, so I might as well stock up." Izanoku said, turning away with her cart. "Now if you excuse me, I'll be taking my leave-"

"You don't want to know my answer?" Masaru asked. Izanoku let out a loud sigh and twisted her head to look at Masaru.

"Make it quick... I have places to be." Izanoku said, with Mai being caught in the crossfire between the two. She put the can of soup in her basket, and slowly snuck out of the aisle, leaving Masaru and Izanoku left standing on each side facing off against each other.

"Take your time and get your soup. If you're stocking up, five cans aren't gonna be enough." Masaru said, walking over to the shelf. "I'm actually here to get some of this black garlic chicken soup. A friend in England wants me to ship some to her."

"Oh... that's... nice..." Izanoku said, looking away from Masaru. Taking a few more cans, she dumped them into the trolley and began to try and walk away again.

"Though, seeing you and Mai together was a surprise. In fact, having all three of us meet in the soup aisle is a funny coincidence." Masaru said, before a smirk formed on his lips. "Hey, Iza. Can I come over to your house?"

"...eh?" Izanoku looked at him with a blank face.

(Opening here)