Water Mother

Three Gems sat in a room obsucred in shadows as they discussed matters. The room was almost pitch black, but silhouettes could be seen. In the center was a tall Gem who spoke at the front of the table in a voice most powerful, full of resolve and hatred "My fellow Gems, we have come across quite the issue."

A short silhouette, by the side of the leader in a voice softer which did not hold the same bloodlust added, "It appears our dear nephew has betrayed us. You that our sister would have chosen someone willing to finish the job."

The tall one elaborated with a malign smile that even a Diamond would fear, "Yes. It is a shame as I do that kid as my own nephew as he is close to our sister, but Era 3 still allows the Diamonds to rule. As we all recall we must shatter the Diamonds and polish the Quartz. Thankfully we have found an ally. Isn't that right..."

The tall silhouette turned to the third, "Emerald?..."

However while this group is of concern to the heroes of this story the concern is not immediate as Steven held a bubble as he entered the bathroom and filled up the tub with water. Steven examined the bubble. He thought about how many Corrupted Gems he had seen shattered by the Homeworld Gems. His mind went back to the first one, Centipeedle, whom he met in what he was still unsure if it was Purgatory or his own dying mind. While he assumed it to be some sort of Purgatory others could interpret it differently. However while there he met that Gem Jasper killed all those years ago in Ocean Town. How many had died that he couldn't save. How many more Gems could have been cured in Era 3 but never had the chance because they were shattered.  How many-

Steven began to glow pink and shut down this line of thinking before it could proceed as he began to take the vials of essence of the Diamonds from the cabinet. His hand inflated briefly, growing to thrice its size, shocking Steven who gave a yelp before it shrank back down and he took a deep breath to stop the glowing.

"It's OK it's just shapeshifting," Steven assured himself, "Nothing to worry about. Just keep smiling..."

Steven put a drop of each of the three vials in the tub followed by his own spit which created a glowing concoction that Steven dropped the Gem into. The Gem reformed into a Cherry Quartz who panicked and looked around as she yelled, "What!?! Where am I!?!"

"Hey hey easy," Steven replied, "I'm Steven Beta Universe. You've been Corrupted for a few thousand years."

"Why wasn't I shattered?" Cherry inquired.

"You were..." Steven explained turning away, "Well..."

Steven began to glow pink as he sighed, "One of the lucky ones..."

"Woah what the!?!" Cherry cried out.

"Oh that!" Steven exclaimed laughing it off, "Sorry! Didn't mean to the startle you! I'm only half Gem! I have powers. It's nothing to worry about!"

Steven led the Gem out of the bathroom as she looked around in confused bewilderment and inquired, "Why do you have the insignia of the Diamonds?"

Steven explained, "Oh yeah uh, I have a pamphlet," Steven explained handing them to Cherry, "Long story short White Diamond is gone. I... well I have the Gem of Pink Diamond but she's dead, and you're now free to do whatever."

"Gone what do you mean gone?" Cherry inquired as Steven lead her outside and the duo walked down the beach, the sun rising over the horizon, light sparkling off the waves as their feet crunched upon the sand below.

Steven elaborated as they passed through Beach City, passing by many Gems already integrated into human society. Steven elaborated, "Things have changed a lot since way back when. See, nowadays Gems are free to do what they want. Be it art or a career or whatever it is you may desire. This..."

Steven lead Cherry into the campus of Little Homeschool where the Crystal and Homeworld Gems taught various classes. Steven elaborated, "And this is where you can learn how. Learn about humans and choice and all sorts of stuff. Any questions?"

"So is Pink Diamond your mom?" Cherry inquired.

Steven glowed pink as he glared, "Genetic relation does not a family make Cherry. Remind me to put blood family vs real family on your class list. Lapis teaches that one. It's a philosphy class. Anyways that's all I have to teach you. Lemme show you to the class."

Steven lead Cherry to a group of Gems sitting in front of Lapis who explained, "So while yes Steven is Greg's son genetically it is the bond they share that makes them father and son. If Greg was evil he would be no more than a man with genetic relation to Steven. That's all for today."

Lapis turned to see Steven and greeted him eagerly, "Oh hey Steven!"

"Hey Lapis!" Steven exclaimed as Lapis hugged him, "What's new with you?"

"Just the usual teaching class," Lapis replied happily, "Hey I'm gonna go grab a doughnut. Wanna tag along?"

"Sounds good," Steven replied as the duo began to walk.

Lapis inquired to Steven after sighin.g after they had bought a box of doughnuts "So... Jasper..."

"What about her?" Steven inquired, confusion in his voice as the two walked down the street talking.

"You seem really close to her," Lapis explained, "Like we used to be when you were younger."

"What do you mean?" Steven asked as he realized that this was a more serious matter and turned his eyes from the beautiful view to Lapis, who appeared saddened in some way, as if she felt abandoned.

"I just feel..." Lapis sighed, "Cast aside. Like a piece of drift wood in the ocean. I've felt for a while now that you were a son to me but since you've grown to love Jasper as your mom I just feel we've grown distant and I just..."

Lapis sighed as she fidgeted with a puddle of water, making the liquid do a little dance.

"Hey Lapis it's OK," Steven assured her with a smile, "Yeah I do love Jasper as my mother but I love you as my mother just the same. It's just been a difficult time for me since the Final Report. Leading the Rebellion, Jasper getting corrupted, all of that. I understand where you're coming from but I do see you as my mother too. I'm sorry that I haven't been spending time with you. I just... kinda broke down after the Final Report."

"It's OK I understand," Lapis replied, "I'll always love you as my son. Speaking of which that pink glow, should I be worried-"

"No no!" Steven replied with a chuckle, "I may look like Pink but I'm not like her am I? I'm fine mom! Really!"

"OK," Lapis sighed still concerned, "Just... I understand you see Jasper as your mom too but she can be a bit intense so if you want to talk to me because of that..."

Steven nodded in understanding and hugged Lapis as he assured her, "I'm fine. Really."

Steven smiled and elaborated, "I've gotta go plan out the next few weeks of classes. Cya."

With that Steven returned to the temple where he began to glow intensely and his hand suddenly grew in size as Steven took deep breaths to try to calm himself and muttered, "It's OK Steven. You just have to keep smiling. You have to make sure it's all gonna be OK. So just be OK..."