I Hate Rose, Not You

261 days until final report.

"Talk!" Holy Blue Agate demands, "where is Rose? Why won't you talk?"

"You've already proofed me what, six times?" Amethyst asks, "gonna have to try harder than that Holly."

"Let's make it seven then," Holy Blue growls as she poofs amethyst.

"Bring in the Sapphire," Holy Blue demands. The quartz soldier immediately obeys.

"If this one doesn't talk," Holy Blue Agate thinks aloud, "I may have to start shattering..."

Meanwhile, it's a stormy day in Ocean Town. Clouds gather overhead, the atmosphere is tense and grim, the streets are empty, quiet. The whole town feels like a bomb about to go off, and everyone is holding their breath, praying they won't get caught in the blast.

Steven sits in his room. Holding the empty water bottle. How did Lion know about this? How is he related to Rose? Steven's curiosity is interrupted when Jasper enters the room.

"Steven," she greets.

"Hey Jasper," Steven replies, "what's up?"

"You remember shattering that gem a while back?" Jasper asks.

"Yeah," Steven lies, "totally broke it."

"Well," Jasper smiles, "I think it's time."

"Time for what?" Steven asks, he clutches his gem instinctively. Jasper had always glared at his gem, with a deep resentment in her eyes. The two just never got along.

"It's time to get you a weapon," Jasper smiles, "so you can fight gems like us. Come on, I know a place we can find one for you."

Jasper gets onto the warp pad. Steven is reluctant at first, but looking at how Jasper smiles, he decides to go. It's the only time Jasper has smiled at him other than when he told her he shattered that gem.

Jasper warps the two to the strawberry field. Steven immediately realizes where they are, and remembers that Lion is here.

"What are we doing here?" Steven plays dumb, "what is this place?"

"It's a long story," Jasper replies, "come along now."

Lion approaches Steven, stealthy under the bushes.

"Lion," Steven whispers, "you have to go."

Lion doesn't budge.

"Lion," Steven pleads, "please, she'll kill you."

Lion lets out a soft growl and leaves.

"What was that noise?" Jasper asks, missing Lion by mere moments.

"Oh," Steven lies, "just my stomach."

"Why not pick some strawberries then?" Jasper asks, "anyways, this seems like a good spot."

Jasper grabs some of the brush and tears it from the ground, revealing various gem weapons.

"Take your pick," Jasper smiles, "anything you like. A warrior should feel comfortable with their weapon."

Steven goes through the weapons, eventually finding Rose's scabbard.

If he can't get answers directly, maybe he can try something more evasive.

"What about this?" Steven asks.

Jasper hits the scabbard out of Steven's hand. Jasper glares with sheer rage.

"Never touch anything like that again," she growls, "that belonged to a very bad gem, and if you're connected to them, bad things will happen to you."

Steven finally gets fed up with Jasper, Lapis, and Peridot's lies. He's sick of the secrets, and he's sick or Jasper hating him.

"Stop talking to me like I'm some little kid!" Steven exclaims, "I get it, I'm not a gem, I'm not like you. Fine, whatever, but why do you guys always lie to me?"

It's just then that Steven notices the storm clouds as the floodgates open and rain pours from the sky.

"I don't understand, why do you hate me?" Steven asks, "why do you always look at me with resentment? I've tried to be nice to you, but all you do is glare and be cold! At least Peridot tries! If you have something to say, say it!"

Steven begins crying.

"Do you hate me," he asks, "because of my gem?"

Jasper stops. She doesn't know how to respond. She realized she was so focused on Rose, she forgot that Steven is alive. That Steven, related to Rose or not, is still a being with emotions like herself. She won't compromise her mission, but that doesn't mean she can't be nice to Steven.

"Hey," Jasper leans down to look Steven in the eye, "I don't hate you. You're a good kid Steven. It's just..."

Jasper sighs.

"Your gem," Jasper explains, "it reminds me of someone, someone who took someone very important to me, but you... You haven't done anything wrong. So, no more lies, no more hiding. I'm going to tell you everything. First though, I gotta ask, can you frogive me, for all the hate? For all the unjust resentment?"

Steven wipes away his tears. "Of course," Steven smiles, "us gems gotta stick together."

Jasper smiles and rustles Steven's hair. She knows she can't tell him everything, but she can tell him some.

"OK," Jasper lies, "I'm about to tell you everything about Rose Quartz..."