Blacksmith's Regrets

Steven's mood reflects the lukewarm, cloudy weather. He feels numb today, next to nothing at all. He in fact, tries to think of upsetting things. Just to feel anything at all.

He looks at a photo of him and Jasper eating funnel cake together back in Ocean Town and thinks aloud, "This normally makes me sad with mom gone but I just don't... feel today. I was hoping I would feel something with this!"

Steven sighs and exits the house to look over the beach, clearing his head as he thinks aloud, "She's gonna come home soon, but if I'm not OK when she gets here I'm just gonna burden her and everyone else! Keep it together Steven!"

Steven sighs and looks down at the beach where Peridot sits, talking to Bismuth. Curious, Steven approaches the duo...

"I can try but I don't know how much I can do," Bismuth explains to Peridot,  "Let's head to my forge and- oh hi Steven."

"What's up?" Steven asks.

Peridot turns to greet Steven, "Hey Steven what's up?"

Steven shrugs, "Oh not much. At all. What's up with you guys?"

Bismuth explains, "We're just discussing some issues Peridot has after Spinel."

"Oh right you got poofed and have that Star on your chest now but she broke your limb enhancers right?" Steven inquires.

Peridot nods, "Yeah."

"Come on let's roll!" Bismuth exclaims leading the duo to the warp pad inside. The trio warp to the black rock and ash filled airs of Bismuth's forge.

Ash falls fro the sky as Steven inquires, "Hey isn't this where you revealed the Breaking Point and-"

Bismuth exclaims loudly, cutting Steven off, "Anyways I'll get the work! Feel free to look around!"

Steven nods and sits down as Bismuth gets to work in her forge, lighting it ablaze as she begins to hammer a piece of heated metal. Peridot sits next to Steven and asks, "You OK? You seem... distant."

"I kinda am distant," Steven admits with a vacant smile that doesn't reach his eyes, "I just feel kinda numb today, if I'm being honest. How about you? You seem bothered by your... loss of height. Is it the loss of the gun? We can buy a gun I guess but..."

"No no," Peridot explains, "It's not that it's just... I feel small and weak. I worry people will look down on me, figuratively, for being short. A lotta humans devalue humans for being short, for their appearance and I just-"

"Hey listen," Steven explains, "Who cares about appearances? Beauty is a subjective thing and anyone who hates you for being short isn't worth your time anyways. Everyone is beautiful in a different way, unless it's unhealthy, that is objectively ugly, but I guess that doesn't apply to Gems, but you get what I'm saying."

Peridot smiles, "Thanks I just... I'm worried about about being pitied. I have no powers, can't shapeshift, don't have a weapon and I just..."

"The Gems are our family," Steven assures her, "They love you all the same and I do too. You're a big sister to me, and nothing will change that."

"Even so..." Peridot asks, "Steven... You've been distant to your family. To me. We used to be close, hang out, talk, but recently..."

Steven shrugs, "I'm fine. Some days I just don't feel like hanging out."

"Steven..." Peridot speaks with concern as she inquires, "You've hardly even spoken to Lapis. I would argue she's as much a mother to you as Jasper."

"I suppose I see Lapis as my mother yes," Steven explains, "I guess... without Jasper the family feels... incomplete? Like when you finish a puzzle but miss a piece and you're just hellbent on finding it."

"We both know that's not the only reason," Peridot sighs, "You're just... growing distant."

"I'll be fine," Steven assures her, "You worrying about nothing."

"I just-" Peridot explains before her eyes go wide, "Bismuth look out!"

"Huh?" Bismuth inquires, not noting that a sword is about to fall off a shelf and land on her head. Bismuth reaches out to help her, stopping the sword midair.

"Uhh..." Steven comments with a sly grin, "No powers huh sis?"

"Oh ha ha," Peridot half chuckles, "I had no idea I could control metal until just now."

"Speaking of metal," Bismuth requests, "Steven can you lend me a hand?"

Steven nods and enters as Bismuth sighs, hammers a breastplate, "Can we talk for a second?"

"Sure," Steven replies.

Bismuth morphs her hand back into its default shape and sighs as she turns to face Steven, "Look, I know you're not Rose and I trust your friends. We all get along just fine but... I feel you resent me. I don't know if you're avoiding me or-"

Steven assures her, "Nah not at all. You hated Homeworld. Now, yes I care about Blue Diamond, but the rest of Homeworld can burn for all I care, but I don't resent you for that. You hated Rose and Homeworld. I would've done the same. You're fun to hang out with and pretty kind if a bit much sometimes. I do consider you a part of my family. Kinda like an aunt if I had to lable it but labels are superficial at that point."

"I... appreciate your forgiveness Steven," Bismuth smiles wearily, "If you need... anything, anything at all, I love you as my family too. You can ask me."

"I'm fine," Steven assures her with a distant shrug, "Anyways I'm sleepy so I'm gonna take a nap. See you guys later."

Steven waves and warps away.

Peridot inquires, "He's lying isn't he?"

"About caring about us?" Bismuth asks, "No. About being OK? Yes."

Steven sighs in the warp as he looks at another old photo sighing as he puts it away. Bismuth sighs and tells Peridot, "He clearly doesn't trust anyone, and he's growing distant from everyone. That loneliness will eat him alive..."