We Need to Talk

30 days until final report.

Today is the day. The day Steven will tell Jasper the truth.

Steven has been nervous since he woke up, but he knows he has to do this. To ignore this problem will only allow it to fester and grow. Trust is key in any relationship. Be it romantic, family, or friendship.

Jasper and Steven sit on the beach eating funnel cake. Steven to nervous to eat. Jasper notices his unease and inquires, "You OK kiddo?"

"You would never hurt me," Steven asks, "Right?"

"What?" Jasper inquires.

Steven looks out to the ocean, "If I knew where Rose was," Steven asks, "Would you hurt me?"

Steven is shaking now, afraid, but it's to late to back out now. He had to do this. Jasper is, in a way, his mom. By virtue of being the one who loved and raised him. By virtue of a family of love. Not one of false blood ties.

"Steven you could be hiding Rose from me under the house," Jasper explains with a chuckle, "And I would be very... upset... but I would never hurt you over it."

Steven sighs, and summons his shield, asking, "Is that a promise?"

Jasper feels many things.

Rage.

Betrayal.

Hatred.

All of this for Rose.

However she feels many other things.

Concern.

Compassion.

Love.

All these things that she feels for Steven.

She chokes back a rage that almost consumes her and demands in a hiss, "Steven... answers..."

"Rose is dead," Steven explains shaking, stepping back, horrified, "I'm her son. I'm only half human and I love you guys. You're my family and I've had to hide it for so long. My mom is a murderer and I can't... I can't do it anymore! I can't keep lying! I can't! I know you're gonna kill me or Yellow is gonna kill me but I can't!"

Steven breaks down crying, "All of it is my fault! Blue Diamond, Crystal Gems, all of it! I've had three of them bubbled for months! I can't do it anymore mom!"

Jasper walks over to Steven, who has broken down into a sobbing mess, and just glares for a moment. Not doing anything. Steven, in this moment, expects to die. He expects... no, knows he will be killed. Yet he can't lie to Jasper any longer.

Jasper notices Steven called her mom. She simply accepts this label. She accepts this family dynamic as she lifts Steven into her arms. She has made her choice. After seeing Earth, seeing Steven, and fighting Blue Diamond's forces, she has made her choice.

"Steven," she explains gently, lifting him up in a hug, "It's OK. Shhhhhh. We're family. I love you as my son. I'm sorry you had to be scared for so long but... I'm not going to hurt you. I'm not going to lose you again. You can tell me everything whenever you're ready. I could never hurt you. I could never betray you. So what if you're born from Rose? Blood ties mean nothing. You're better than her. We're better than her. That gem in your stomach means nothing. Rose is just some women with genetic relations that hold no value to you. She's not your mom. It's OK. Just... tell me what's been going on."

"Where..." Steven asks, "Where do I start?"

"Wherever you want," Jasper replies, "It's OK."

"OK," Steven sighs, "It all started with the monster that attacked Ocean Town when we first arrived..."