I Don't Trust You

159 days until final report.

It's a rainy day outside. A huge storm brews over Ocean Town, filling the air with tension and dread, like something big is about to happen. Everyone sits in their houses, waiting out the storm, its presence lingering in every house, looming overhead, ever present.

Steven sits in his house, lieing on his bed. He examines the tape with intense curiosity. Why was it in Lion's mane? It has to be from Rose, but why would Rose leave him such a tape? How would Rose know who he even is? There are just so many questions, and that tape holds all the answers. He just has to find a way to watch it.

Peridot warps in. Steven quickly hides the tape in his pocket. He doesn't trust the gems, they're hiding something. Something he has to find alone.

"Hey Steven!" Peridot smiles, "how you doing?"

"Good," Steven replies, getting up, "where are the others?"

"Jasper and Lapis got worried so they sent me to check up on you," Peridot explains, "but I don't see why they're so concerned, you can handle yourself most of the time."

Steven grips his gem. He wonders if the gems have some other motives he doesn't know about.

No, that's impossible. They're his best friends, his family, they would never betray him.

"What exactly are you guys doing?" Steven inquires, "corrupted gem out there or something?"

Peridot tenses up. In truth, they were working on the communications tower to make sure their final report goes through. It has to go through, and Peridot knows she has to prove to Jasper that Steven has no connection to Rose at all. Otherwise, Yellow Diamond will...

Peridot tries not to think about it. There's no way she's letting Yellow Diamond come to Earth to kill Steven, no matter what.

"Yup!" Peridot lies, "the others are tracking it down now."

Steven grips the tape in his pocket. He knows that if any of the gems see he has it, they'll most likely take it away. Steven doesn't trust them, he knows something isn't right.

"What's that in your pocket?" Peridot inquires.

"Candy bar," Steven quickly lies.

Peridot sees right through his lies.

"What are you hiding," she demands.

Steven decides to confront Peridot.

"Not as much as you're hiding!" Steven yells, "you guys never tell me the whole truth! Like, why did you guys wanna shatter Bismuth? Why did she hate you guys so much? Why won't you just tell me the whole truth?"

The storm blows the door open, filling the house with heavy winds.

"If I was hiding something," Steven continues, "then I wouldn't tell you. I don't trust you Peridot, not you, not Lapis, not Japser, not anyone. Cause you all hide things from me. Why is it so hard to tell me the truth?"

Peridot sighs. She looks at Steven. She's not mad, not even a little, just surprised. She didn't know Steven was this intent on getting answers. However, the more he learns, the more danger he's in, and if he learns the whole truth, he won't be Peridot's freind anymore. Peridot just has to lie until her final report, just a little longer.

"Steven," she sighs, sitting down, "there are some things we hide from you to protect you. Some things that are dangerous to know. I understand if you don't trust everything I say, but as your friend, trust me when I say this. We all care about you Steven, we just want what's best for you, but that means leaving some things burried. Do you understand?"

"Yeah," Steven reluctantly sighs, "I get it."

The two sit in silence for a moment. Peridot sighs, there's one other thing she has to tell Steven, something even Lapis and Jasper don't know.

"There's another reason I came here," Peridot explains, "there's something in the center of the Earth, something called The Cluster. I requested permission to terminate it, but was denied. If it is not terminated, then it will destroy the Earth, but... what if we found it broken?"

"What are you saying?" Steven asks.

"I'm saying," Peridot replies, "that I'm going to destroy The Cluster, and you're gonna help me do it. I've been working on a drill, and it will be ready in a week. So, be ready Steven."

"OK," Steven replies, "I'll be ready."

Steven grips his gem.

"I'll be ready..."