Decay Part One: Loss (Mid Season Finale)

It is a warm day in ocean town, if a bit cloudy. Steven, Buck, and Sourcream walked down the boardwalk, talking about nothing in particular.

"Anyways," Sourcream continued a story he was telling, "I was DJing for that guy and he refuses to pay."

"That Kevin dude is a real tool," Buck sighed.

"Sounds like it," Steven added, "I've never met him though."

"Consider yourself lucky," Sourcream groaned, "If you ever do, don't waste your time with him. He's not worth it."

Steven nodded in understanding as the trio turned the street corner to see Amethyst eating macaroons with Lars and Sadie.

"Hey guys!" Amethyst greeted, "What's up?"

"Not much," Buck replied, "You?"

"Just made a batch of macaroons," Lars explained, "Want one?"

"Man I was getting hungry," Sourcream commented.

"So you doing well then?" Steven inquired.

"Sure am," Lars exclaimed, "You guys hanging out?"

"Headed to Fun Land," Buck explained, "You three wanna tag along?"

"Sounds fun," Amethyst replied, "You guys down?"

"Sure," Sadie nodded, "Lars?"

"I'm game," Lars shrugged.

The group continued walking as Sourcream inquired, "So Steven... you holding up?"

Amethyst brushed this off, "I'm sure he's fine. He's a cool dude and the other Crystal Gems are fighting a Corrupt Gem outside of town. What is there one in the ocean too?"

"Honestly..." Steven conceded, "Not really. Amethyst here is the only gem, with her and maybe Lapis, that I truly trust and if one more thing happens..."

Steven chuckles, madness, insanity in his eyes, "I'm gonna lose it."

Steven laughs as his friends look at him with deep concern.

"Are..." Buck asked, "Are you good man?"

"I'll be fine," Steven responded, "I have you guys. As long as you guys are OK..."

Screams echoed from Fun Land as a corrupted gem, a massive red worm, broke apart the flashy lights of the park. Steven summoned his shield and tried to protect them, but Buck was just out of reach.

Time froze.

He reached out to Buck. Buck turned to him and sighed with a smile, looking at the sky, "Steven... I want you to know, I love you the little brother I never had. I'm happy I met you. I'm happy I got to know all of you... I... I'm sorry. If there's a place, after we die, I'll see you there. Let's hangout there... ye?"

"Buck?" Steven asked.

"Arrivederci," Buck nodded with a wave of his hand.

"Buck!" Sourcream screamed.

"Buck no!" Lars cried.

The worm slammed into Buck, shattering his spine as the rest of its body we deflected by the shield.

Buck went limp on impact with a building in the town.

Steven...

Steven...

There was no Steven, in this moment.

There was only...

Rage.

Buck...

Was dead.

Steven glowed pink as the shield went down. He charged, screaming, animalistic fury in his voice.

"Steven!" Amethyst cried reaching out, only to be pulled back by Sourcream.

"What are you doing!?!" Amethyst demanded.

"We are not animals," Sadie explained, "But rage can cloud the mind, make it appear savage. Make it... blind to truth. He's in a blind rage from losing his family. His brother."

Lars added, "Our voices won't reach him now..."

Steven avoided the worm's attacks as it cried out before he leapt at it, ripping its form apart with nails, biting, pulling with his teeth as tears streamed down his face. In horror, the humans watched as the gem cried in agony. As if some part of itself, the sentient part, begged for mercy.

Begged...

Begged...

To someone who could not hear it.

As it poofed, Steven glared at it, he stood on it, and pressed his foot down..

"Kill..." Steven growled, "You..."

The gem cracked, the sound snapped Steven back to reality

He looked at what he down. He looked at his hands, glowing pink. He vomited, and muttered, "I'm disgusting. I really am... my mother's son..."

He vomited at himself, at his own actions. Tears streamed down his face. All his pain, all the lies came to a head. His bile however, contained spit, that healed the gem that sat in the pool.

Steven chuckled, "I guess... vomit would have some spit wouldn't it?"

Steven walked away, he looked Buck's body, and cried, before he vomited again.

"I can't..." Steven wept, "I can't..."

And he ran.

"I'll bubble the Gem!" Amethyst exclaimed, "You guys get Steven!"

What he didn't see, as all his friends did when they rushed to comfort him as Amethyst bubbled the Corrupt Gem, was that some of the vomit splashed onto Buck.

"Steven!" Sourcream cried.

"Uhhh..." Lars asked, "Is... His body glowing pink?..."