The Surgeon Sequel - The Twins: Part 8

As I drive I keep glancing at the device. White noise: crackling, humming and scratching emanate from it – then silence.

Kade’s words come back to me, when he was going to throw the device away, “This is gonna be some grim listening; I really don’t see the value in hearing a woman’s violent death. Poor Maria, she was so good to us, she engineered our meeting.”

And I guess she did. I think back to the day Kade first approached me on the street. I was so horrified that a guy was hitting on me that I almost got killed running across the road. But even then: his bright, warm smile, kind eyes and confidence drew me to him. I remember the confusion I felt that day: I liked him, but hated myself for that fact.

Words seep from the device and distract me from the memmory, “Tanya, listen to me…” Maria’s sudden whispered words cause my foot to jolt the accelerator and the vehicle shunts forward alarmingly. I quickly regain control and reduce my speed. Her voice is hushed and filled with a fast flowing terror that surrounds me…“Go to the Change Range: Surgical suite 1. Amongst the specimens in the jars you will find a Black Box; the key to your future happiness is contained within this box.”

There is a pause and I can hear her heavy breathing then hacking, terrified tears. I take a deep breath and slow the vehicle until it crawls at a snails pace. Maria then seems to regain some composure and continues with her hushed and hurried words…“The contents of that Black Box are my gift to you, Tanya. Please act upon them. My life will soon be terminated and I want you to be happy. Some good has to come from my death.”

I pull into the side of the road, stop and pull on the break. I switch the headlights onto full beam and I note their light barely penetrates the blinding darkness that surrounds me – the many Disabling Devices and weapons I’m armed with give me little comfort when faced with this blackness.

Maria continues, her voice now so low that I have to pick up the device and hold it close to my ear…“They took me to The Sixth Zone. I’ve seen the horrors therein with my own eyes – you must believe in The Twin’s power and do all you can to prevent collected blood. Tanya – you can’t defeat them alone… ”

I pause the tape. Something about the way she says ‘alone’ resonates with me. It’s almost as if she knew what I intended to do.

Staring out into the darkness, I think about the ‘togetherness’ Kade and I shared. Through all the horror and mayhem we endured we always remained resolutely together: a solid, trusting team.

I quickly snap my self out of these nostalgic thoughts when I feel loneliness engulfing me again. I keep telling myself Kade will find happiness with the real deal – just like Kelly said.

I’m alone now. And I can do this alone – I’m strong.

I press play again and her voice raises several octaves to a howling screech… Oh no…she’s coming – GOD Help me! No – I beg you – please: No-No-No, please spare me, I beg you…” I slam the device off and throw it onto the passenger seat. The terror in Maria’s voice has chilled me to the bone and as Kade said, “there’s no value in listening to someone die.”

……

The thing is, I had planned on going to The Change Range, to make it my base while I unearthed what’s going on here and search for my parents. Of the three zones I know of, I know it best and will be confident that I can live there un-detected.

I’ve listened to the tape again and I believe it’s genuine. Maria’s words seem to come from a desire to help me. I remember her profound guilt at having worked for The Surgeon and how she wanted to make amends for her wrong- doing. As I drive toward The Change range, I’m confident that what’s contained in this Black Box is designed to help and not hinder me.