TRANSHUMAN: 6

Whilst following Little kelvin down the hallway, I get bitten on my backside – by reality.

Yep, reality bites and I holler, "WAIT!"

Little Kelvin yelps, turns around and seeing nothing untoward asks, "What are we waiting for?" Irritation crumples his face.

I drop to his level and eye-ball him, "Are you absolutely sure it was Kade who gave you a piggy-back?" I ask.

He steps back and looks at me with wary eyes, "Sure I'm sure; I know my own son when he lifts me up," he says.

Even though my life is full of the absurd, hearing a kid who is not yet ten years old talk about his twenty three year old son is a stark reminder of just how messed up my world is.

More so when I see everyday he develops another of Kade's facial expressions, mannerisms and movements. This never fails to disconcert me.

He stamps his foot and thrusts his hand towards me, "If you're not coming with me, give me Kade's cell and I'll go give it to him," he says, a temper rising.

I thrust Kade's cell deeper into my pocket and observe Little Kelvin. He's not accustomed to lying; in fact he's the bluntest of truth-tellers.

He starts his rapid jumping routine which signals the start of a tantrum, "Quit this Tanya, I need to get back to Fortnite," he says, launching a frenzied flossing dance, something he's started to do in order to control his tantrums. Little Kelvin's addicted to the computer game Fortnite; so I do wonder if someone's bribed him with a ten hour stint on the net.

My heart says go with him, but my head says don't.

So I ask, "Why doesn't Kade come get his cell himself?"

He rolls his eyes, "Because he's real pissed with you for locking him in the safe room," he says, as though this should be obvious to me.

"How'd he get out of the safe room?" I ask.

He shrugs, "I don't know."

But his eyes widen in sudden revelation and I drop to his level again, "What is it Kelvin, have you remembered something?" I ask, hopeful.

He smiles, "Yes – I've been real dumb, Tanya."

I return his smile and put my hands on his shoulders, "That's okay Kelvin, tell me why you've been dumb?"

His face turns serious, "Kade said I mustn't let you come back with me, that I should take his cell and return with it without you," he says, looking gleeful.

"Why doesn't Kade want me to come with you?" I ask.

He begins to tremble as my hands on his shoulders prevent his jumping tantrum, "Because he's pissed with you." He raises his voice, "Stop being dumb Tanya; I need to get back to Fortnite – give me his cell!" he shouts, his hand thrusting out, again.

I take a deep breath and lean in, "I'll do a deal with you," I say.

Interest colours his face, "What kinda deal?"

"How about you take me to Kade, and I'll give you full access to Fortnite for a whole week?"

His smile is instant, "No kidding?" he asks.

I return his smile, "No kidding," I offer him my hand.

He takes it in his and shakes vigorously, "Done deal – come follow me Tanya."

......

In the elevator down to the reception area of our underground facility, Little Kelvin excitedly dances while singing, "Slide to the left, shake it to the front, move it all around, we flossin baby..."

This sunny sight and sound of him is momentary distraction from what I'm about to discover when this elevator door slides open.

With a jolt the elevator comes to a halt, "Yeah we're here," yells Little kelvin.

I take a deep breath and say quietly to myself, "What happens, happens, just step out of the elevator."

The door slides open a fraction and little Kelvin shoots out singing as he disappears into the facility.

The door opens fully and my heart literally bursts – "Kade, is it really you?" I ask.

"Yes," he says.

He looks sullen, sad; disappointed to see me – "You got my cell?" he asks.

I take it from my pocket and hold it out towards him.

He walks forward.

Slowly he reaches his hand towards me.

His fingers meet mine and my hearts soars – I feel his touch.

He clasps my hand and pulls me into him.

I fall into his arms and inhale his scent.

The gentle heave of his body tells me he's crying.

I hold him and cradle his head into my nape.

His warm tears seeping down my neck soothe me.

We remain wordless until Kade breaks our silence, "I forgive you Tan, you did what you did out of profound love for me."

I stroke his hair and say nothing.

He continues to speak in a soft, tear stained voice, "I told you Tan – to think about what you were doing in the context of our lives with all its twists and turns."

At this my body begins to bristle.

Kade continues, "But I forgive you, I understood your motivation." A tear heave causes him to pause, he lifts his head and looks at me with sopping, sorrowful eyes, "I was trying to contact you, but I didn't have my cell, so I managed to sneak onto their system and create a fake TRANSHUMAN App to explain what was happening." He wipes his eyes with the back of his hand, "But you ignored it – why didn't you download it, Tan?"

The bristle in my body turns to a cold chill, "You were a hologram, your voice was automated like a robots, I got frustrated and threw my cell against the wall." I grab Kade's hand, pull him into the elevator, and slam my hand on the up button, "Come on Kade, let's get outta here."

Kade gently swivels his head as the screen above the elevator control panel flashes: ACCESS DENIED. ACCESS DENIED. ACCESS DENIED.

I smack the button repeatedly – but the doors remain open and the message continues to be repeated.

Kade is slumped against the elevator wall his head hanging in what looks like defeat, "Our love is our greatest strength, but also our weakness. I figured the extremity of your act to prevent my transition would lead us back into their experimental lair – they never miss an opportunity to exploit your weakness for their cruel gain."

Kade slides down the wall, "It's all my fault, I shouldn't have asked Little Kelvin go get my cell, but I was desperate to communicate with you, tell you what was going on."

He slides up and looks at me, "I should've known you'd come with him and they'd have us." He shakes his head, "I mean they'd have you."

The chill in my body freezes me to the spot.

"Who's they?" I ask.

"The Three surgeons," he says, in a barely audible whisper.

Kade caresses my face, "If things had gone as I planned, we'd have at least had a wonderful last vacation together on the Trans-Siberian-Express before my transition."

He embraces me, "Tan, hold me in your arms and let this moment linger, for at dawn you'll be taken to Theatre and it's you who'll be transitioned to TRANSHUMAN.