The Surgeon sequel - The Twins: Part 25

“Kade and I have no secrets, we tell each other everything. Whatever you tell me, you tell him,” I reply to Tony.

He smiles sweetly, “I admire your loyalty, that’s a most admirable trait,” he says. 

My mother takes my hand, “We need your full focus on our fight my child. All truths will be revealed in an atmosphere of liberation, not in this oppressive place in which we are trapped,” she says, her words sincere.

A familiar hum invades the space; it’s the sound that signals the arrival of Kade and Kelly’s mom’s hologram. When she’s fully beamed to us, it’s clear she’s pissed. She addresses Tony with a stern voice, “It’s not your place to impart information to my children. As their mother, I know them well and I know how to handle their emotional welfare. It is I who will disclose any further information to them, when I deem the time to be right.”

The anger is evident in her face, “You have disappointed me, Tony!” She says.

Tony lowers his head and it’s clear he’s taken aback by the severity of her tone. His voice is conciliatory, “Please accept my sincerest apology. I thought the revelation would engender trust between my sister and I.” He looks at me, “I’m sorry Tanya, I have been misguided,” he says, lowering his head.

Feeling sorry for him, I say, “It’s ok, I’ll pretend you never said it.” But Kade’s mother cuts in, “It’s not OK, because now Tanya you are burdened with the existence of a Final Revelation. I urge you to put any ruminations to the back of your mind until we are liberated,” she says.

My mother speaks, “I agree, try not to dwell my child; the coming days will be fraught with dangers. We must all remain focused and strong.” She says, walking toward the flickering fire, “Talking of strength, we must fuel ourselves with good nourishment for our day,” she says, stirring a large black metal pot that sits on the open fire.

……

I return to the bedroom. Kade has kicked off the blankets and is furled tight into a fetal position. Looking at him sleeping so soundly he looks so content, peaceful, and so – so damned cute.

His eyes open slowly and they fix on me, heavy lidded with slumber. He stretches his arm out, sleepily, “I need wake up snuggles,” he says, his voice gravelly. I lie next to him and he puts his arm around my waist and pulls me into him, “Were you watching me sleeping?” He asks. “Yes, I was.”

“Did I look sexeeee?” He asks, with a flirty chuckle in my ear.

“No, you had drool dribbling out of your mouth,” I lie.

“You mean you were dribbling, cos I was giving you good puppy dog cuteness,” he says, with his cheeky chuckle.

I love Kade in the mornings; he’s always flirty and funny. “Prove your love for me, give me a morning breath kiss,” he whispers, pulling my face towards his. His morning breath is surprisngly sweet, but I pretend to pull away...

“...COUGH!” The over exaggerated coughing comes from Kelly. “Hello, don’t forget you’ve got company this morning,” she says, letting out a long, stretchy yawn.

“Indeed. And your father really doesn’t want to hear you kissing, Kade,” says little Kelvin, bending to pick up a gurgling baby Belinda. He puts her over his shoulder and rubs her back, “Now come on, get up everybody. I want to go back to the Cryogenic Centre to play Plague Inc – it’s boring here,” he says.

Kade stretches, “Orrr man, this should be the other way round, I should be the one wanting to play games, not my frigging father,” he says, through an extended yawn.