The Surgeon Sequel - The Twins: Part 15

Kade and I wake early and go for a run. “Hey, what should we wear?” Asks, Kade as we slow our pace. “Wear – what do you mean?” I ask, confuzzled.

We slow and come to a stop at the entrance to the Cryogenic Centre where we begin our post run stretches. Kade gives me one of those ‘are you crazy’ looks and says, “What are we gonna wear to Hell! I want us to look as hot as hell in hell,” he says, with his big cheeky smile.

I laugh, “We’ll be wearing our protective suits to make sure our blood stays in our bodies and not in an imp’s tongue,” I say, slamming the code to enter the center.

……

We check the liberated group on the monitors. All are still sleeping, unaware of their imprisoned status. “All looks good in there,” says Kade, smearing vapor rub under his nose and handing me the pot, “Do we have to go see Kristene before breakfast?” I ask, already knowing the answer.

“Yes, she’s asked to see us, we have to respect a decomposing woman’s last wish. Put lots of the vapor rub on, she’s gonna smell like shit times ten – let’s go get this over with,” he says, grabbing my hand and leading me toward the bathroom.

……

The vapor rub hardly helps but I’ve kind of become used to the smell – the sight of Kristene is something I will never get used to. “Good morning,” she says, her voice surprisingly clear for someone whose mouth is being eaten away by maggots. “I’m at the ‘purge’ stage of decomposition, so I won’t keep you long, I realize I’m not looking my prettiest.” She says.  “You can say that again,” says Kade, under his breath.

“Thank you for coming to see me before I’m fully consumed. I just want to wish you well on your journey and to remind you it will be a most testing time for you both…”

…“You’ve already told us that,” cuts in Kade, impatient.

“Yes, and I am reiterating it. Also, I want to let you know that, when I am fully decomposed, The Twins will begin to suck the souls and begin the deaths of my colleagues. So, you have perhaps five days to try and save their souls and that of Kelly. I wish you both the best of luck.”

Kade softens, “That’s useful information Kristene, thank you,” he says, his eyes wide with disgust at the sight of her.

……

Kade and I sip a fruit smoothie whilst we talk with: mother, Troy and Kelvin. “I suggest you wear the summer protective suits, they have an in-built cooling system which you’ll probably need, given that it’s going to be hot,” says mother, who instructs Kelvin to go and get them.

Even though she’s a hologram, I can see the profound worry in her caring eyes. “You know, seeing Kristene, undergoing decomposition whilst still alive has given me the proof I need to take this other dimension seriously.” She lowers her head and when she brings it back up, I see she’s crying, “I don’t want you to go. I’ve lost Kelly, I don’t want to risk losing you both,” she says, softly weeping.

“We have to go, not just for Kelly, but for all those people in there,” says Kade, pointing to the monitors and the group, who are now beginning to wake. “Yes, I understand. But please, please, come back to me – I love you more than Life, my son!” She implores.

Troy suddenly lunges towards Kade and grabs him in a tight bear hug, “I love you like a brother ­– and I want you to come back safe – brother,” Says Troy, with a deep and real affection.

……

Outside flying conditions are perfect. A cloudless blue sky covers a mild, windless day.